Thursday, August 18, 2011

Mammon by J.B. Thomas

Release Date: 1st September, 2011

Publisher: Random House Australia

Pages: 376pgs

The Story

Forget anything you ever heard about exorcisms and pentagrams.

The modern demon is far more difficult to catch and even harder to destroy . . .

After the savage deaths of their parents, Grace and Joe Callahan learn that they are descendants of the sarsareh - mercenaries who hunt very special prey. Grace and Joe take their place in the Order but are treated with hostility and fear by others recruits.

For the Callahan sibilings have powers that fascinate and terrify.

Joe is a Ferryman, capable of opening demensional rifts, while Grace's telepathic abilities surpass anything the Order has ever seen.

But none of that will matter if the powerful demon Mammon manages to convince Joe to open a gateway to his demon world and overrun Earth with his enemies.

If he succeeds: game over.

The Review

A big thanks to Dorothy from Random House for sending me a review copy of this book!

You know what? I'm very surprised by how good this book is. When I was sent a package from the lovely Random House Australian publishers and seeing this book waiting inside it, I was very excited to read it! The first thing that attracted me was the cover - an eye-catching-wow-of-a-cover - and since the plot sounded interesting . . . I was very glad that I got the chance to read it early before September came around. So again, thank you Dorothy - the publicist of Random House - for sending me a review copy! Totally worth reading this book here!

MAMMON is a book crossed between Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series and oddly enough it had a likeness of Vampire-Academy-and-Strange-Angels-esque to it. Just minus the vampires and add a hell of a load of demons. MAMMON is a story about two 'typical' teenage siblings, Grace and Joe - whom discover they have powers. Grace is a telepathic whereas her brother Joe has the ability to open rifts and move between dimensions. Then something rocks their world completely - their parents are brutally murdered and now they must seek help from the Order, people who are like them and must help the siblings train to become demon fighters. As you can clearly see this book is going to be awesome.

So what did I love about MAMMON? I admit the beginning of the novel fell a little flat - in terms of the pacing - however after you read a few chapters, things start to get interesting and you begin to fall for the book. One of the standouts is Grace herself. The main heroine. She's your average teenage girl - brave, strong, witty, and can hold her own. I instantly connected with Grace and she never disappointed me. Her brother however, that being Joe, was the major iffy thing I didn't like. He was impulsive, had a big ego, and rarely listened to anyone. Not that he didn't have any appeal, but let's talk about Ivan. Ivan. What can I say about Ivan? He is your G.I. JOE who has a tough-as-nails-but-secret-sensitive-side of a personality and I believe he will appeal to anyone who loved Dimitri Belikov from Vampire Academy. Yup you heard me ladies! You'll love him if I compared him to my dream man. *smirks* With the perfect action sequences and the cool demons wrecking havoc around this world of J.B. Thomas, I absolutely loved the interaction between Grace and her potential love interest Ivan. It was divine. The banter shared, the stolen kisses, the longing stares . . . ah the list goes on with how much I love those two.

Overall, I loved MAMMON as a whole. It offered everything a demon/action/fantasy fan could ever possibly want in a book. The major thing that I hate was the cruel cliffhanger! How could you do that to me J.B. Thomas?!?! You're killing me here. But all-in-all I recommend this book to Cassandra Clare, Richelle Mead, and Lili St. Crow fans out there! You'll love this gripping, action-packed read and you won't be able to put it down. MAMMON is the first book in The Ferryman Chronicles and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel! So definitely pick up a copy of this book and find out how cool it IS!

The Rating

4/5 stars

3 comments:

  1. Amazing review!
    I think I'm motivated to finish reading this sooner now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh awesome review, Erin!! I agree with Shirley, you've motivated me to hurry up and finish this. I wasn't totally feeling the first couple chapters so I set it aside for a bit, but now I really want to dive back in. ESPECIALLY since you liken it to VA and Dimitri... I know you wouldn't go there if it wasn't fantastic :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shirley: Thank you! Definitely keep at it with reading this book!

    Brodie: Thanks Brodie! The first few chapters did have a slow start, but trust me . . . it'll get better overtime. Of course it wasn't as GOOD as Vampire Academy - NOTHING can compare to it - but I could see this guy character having a lot of similarities to Dimitri. :) Which is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...