Monday, August 22, 2011

The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore

Release Date: 29th August, 2011

Publisher: Penguin

Pages: 352pgs

The Story

We Are Hunted. We Will Fight. We Have the Power of Six.

In the beginning we were a group of nine. The first three were killed in the order of their numbers. They caught Number One in Malaysia. Number Two in England. And Number Three in Kenya. They tried to catch Number Four in Ohio . . . and failed. There are six of us left. And we are ready to fight.

We're hiding, blending in, avoiding contact with one another, but our Legacies are developing and soon we'll be ready to fight. Is John Number Four? And what about Number Five and Six? Could one of them be the raven-haired girl with the stormy eyes from my dreams? The girl with powers that are beyond anything I could ever imagine? The girl who might be strong enough to bring the six of us together?

The Review

A big thanks to Tina from Penguin for sending me a review copy of this book!

Okay so last year when I read I Am Number Four I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and of course I loved the movie adaptation of the book. As far as readers know, in the first book we were introduced to Number Four, John Smith (don't you just love that name), a young alien on the run and after his people, The Lorien, whom one-by-one are being wiped out by the brutal Mogadorians. Then we met the lovely human friend, Sam, the human girlfriend, Sarah, and of course the unforgettable-but-very-kickass chick Number Six who brought this awesome YA story to life. So now you're wondering . . . how does the sequel measure up? Well, let's just say when it comes to THE POWER OF SIX book . . . this much anticipated sequel blew the series out of the water!

THE POWER OF SIX picks up almost after the events of I Am Number Four. John has recovered from the battles fought in Paradise, Ohio, and is now on the road with his friends - Six, Sam, and Bernie Kosar the dog. Now unlike the first book in the series, THE POWER OF SIX's perspective shifts between John and his friends travels around America to the newcomer Marina (Number Seven) who lives in a convent in Spain with her Cepan Adelina. After learning the events of John Smith, Marina is eager to join the fight and unite with her fellow Garde's. But with her guardian Adelina losing the will to fight and refusing to teach Marina of her legacy, it's up to Marina to find John and the others.

I admit it was great to see John and the others again. However the gang had a different feel in this sequel and maybe that's because something changes within the group of friends. John still loves Sarah - the girl he left behind in Ohio - and then there's Sam who has a boy crush on Six, but then things start to get complicated when Mogadorians are chasing them and then John gets a little closer with Six. Which is a problem for my dear boy Sam, whom I love so much and despite my sad feelings for his "crush", I was glad to see he played a much bigger part in the book and he still cracks a few good one-liners!

Without giving away too much of the storyline, I can say while readers will love the return of John Smith, Sam, and Six, but I must say I loved LOVED number seven's (Marina) point of view! My heart went out to her because of the way she was hidden away in Spain and because of her reluctant guardian, whom had fallen for the church rather than follow through with the plan of saving Lorien. Despite her troubles I loved every once of her personality - with the willingness to fight! Truth be told, I loved her the best of all the characters . . . shhhh don't tell anyone! I also loved her little friend, Ella, who was the ultimate sweetheart throughout the book and when secrets are revealed about her . . . it was just awesome!

Anyway this book is by far the best one of the series and talk about a major cliffhanger! So cruel author . . . so so cruel! With enemies coming from every direction, new characters you will grow to love (I'm talking to you Number Seven, Number Nine, and Number Ten), with shocking reveals and powers developing, I can definitely say that the author has outdone himself with this amazing action-packed adventure! I demand the sequel to be made into a film. If you were a big fan of I Am Number Four then you'll have to read and devour the words of THE POWER OF SIX. Trust me when I say this: You won't be disappointed!

The Rating

5/5 stars

7 comments:

  1. Great review Erin. Glad you loved it. Me want next book now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Braiden. I want the next book PRONTO! The days will kill me . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've gotten me all excited! Cannot wait to dig into my copy. *wills it to arrive tomorrow*

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll love this book Lisa! It was sooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic review, Erin!! I just finished writing my own and I completely agree with everything you said. I totally loved this, so, so much more than the first book. So I can only imagine how the third one will measure up. I loved Marina's narrationt he most too! This book was a total thrill-ride! I want more :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Brodie! Yes I can't wait to see how the third one will measure up. Marina was super awesome! I want more of her! I also loved the appearance of Number Nine.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...