Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Briar Rose by Jana Oliver

Release Date: 12th September, 2013

Publisher: Macmillan

Pages: 480pgs

The Story

A dark and sexy reimagining of the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale from the author of THE DEMON TRAPPERS.

For Briar Rose, life is anything but a fairy tale. She's stuck in a small town in deepest Georgia with parents who won't let her out of their sight, a bunch of small-minded, gossiping neighbours and an evil ex who's spreading nasty rumours about what she may or may not have done in the back of his car. She's tired of it all, so when, on her sixteenth birthday, her parents tell her that she is cursed and will go to sleep for a hundred years when the clock strikes midnight, she's actually kind of glad to leave it all behind. She says her goodbyes, lies down, and closes her eyes . . . And then she wakes up. Cold, alone and in the middle of the darkest, most twisted fairy tale she could ever have dreamed of. Now Briar must fight her way out of the story that has been created for her, but she can't do it alone. She never believed in handsome princes, but now she's met one her only chance is to put her life in his hands, or there will be no happy ever after and no waking up.

The Review

A big thanks to the publisher for sending me a review copy of this book!

I didn't necessarily hate this book but I did have a hard time reading it. So while I've always been a huge fan of Jana Oliver's work, especially with her Demon Trappers series which was totally awesome by the way and I couldn't recommend it enough to you all, but unfortunately I wasn't a huge fan of her new title here but it happens to the best of us.

BRIAR ROSE, on a whole, has everything going for it as it is a retelling of a fairy-tale (that being Sleeping Beauty obviously) and I like the direction the author was initially going for because it was interesting and a slightly different take to the tale. But in regards to the storyline, while I liked it to a certain degree and thought it was still very well-written, but what fell flat for me (unfortunately) was the characters themselves. The characters, in my mind, were okay for a little while, but as I kept on reading and learning more about them during the book, in the end I just felt like they could have been something more, you know? I particularly felt this way when it comes to our main character, Briar, who just didn't really step up her game for me and eventually I became less and less drawn to her as a character, so for her I just wasn't a huge fan of hers. But as for the others, again they were okay but I wanted something more of them than I was given. Still, it was a decent read.

Overall, I thought BRIAR ROSE had potential only it was quite a struggle to read for me. But if you're into fairy-tale retellings like I am or are looking for something that is a little different than most retellings, then I would highly recommend this book, especially if you like one of those two things, even though it wasn't particularly a favourite book of mine.

The Rating
2/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...