Sunday, September 8, 2013

Kiss Me First by Lottie Moggach

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Bond Street Books

Pages: 320pgs

The Story

When Leila discovers the website Red Pill, she feels she has finally found people who understand her. A sheltered young woman raised by her mother, Leila has often struggled to connect with the girls at school; but on Red Pill, a chat forum for ethical debate, Leila comes into her own, impressing the website's founder, a brilliant and elusive man named Adrian. Leila is thrilled when Adrian asks to meet her, and is flattered when he invites her to be part of "Project Tess." 

Tess is a woman Leila might never have met in real life. She is beautiful, urbane, witty, and damaged. As they email, chat, and Skype, Leila becomes enveloped in the world of Tess, learning every single thing she can about this other woman -- because soon, Leila will have to become her. 

The Review

A big thanks to the publisher for providing me a copy of this book!

When it comes to Lottie Moggach's KISS ME FIRST, I'm not entirely sure what to say about this book to do it much justice nor what could possibly explain my feelings of it as well, but what I can say is that it was certainly a very unique and different tale than I'm used to reading lately, so whether or not you're into that type of 'different' is really up to you as a reader. But, personally for me, while I did almost like the story, even just a little bit, but I also didn't like it very much either.

I don't know about other readers and what they thought of this particular book, but in my own opinion and whether it was the author's intention or not to make you feel a bit uneasy about her book, but the main problem I found and what had caused me not to like this book all too much had really nothing to do with story itself (because it was psychologically and emotionally really interesting to read) but rather it had everything to do with the two main characters we are soon introduced to - that being Leila and Tess.

Now for obvious reasons, Leila and Tess, once you soon learn about their dilemmas and faults, are not exactly the easiest characters to like. If at all. Leila certainly may have been a bit more relatable in a sense than Tess ever was, but there was still this uneasy feeling that I got from both of these characters and it goes for the rest of the supporting casts as well . . . there was just not a single likable character in this book I'm afraid. Yeah . . . not a single one at all. So while the story may have been interesting and all of that, but I do like to actually like at least one of the characters which sadly this book did not have for me. Again, the book was interesting and strange, but I stress it may not be for everyone and in this case it was okay but not really for my own taste in books.

Overall, KISS ME FIRST is definitely an enigma within itself and while it does take a while to get a grasp of the storyline and everything else going on in it, but on a whole I thought it was still an okay read for me and I didn't mind it.

The Rating
2/5 stars

4 comments:

  1. I've seen this book around a lot but had no idea what it was about prior to this review. It's a shame there were no likeable characters, I recently read a book like that as well. I generally like to like at least one of the characters too! :P Sorry you didn't love this one, but thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lately I haven't come across any great books . . . so it's a shame really that this book had to be one of them. :/

      Delete
  2. I see where you're coming from, Erin! I rarely tend to enjoy books when there isn't at least one character that I can root for. I don't find there's much of a reason to read on when I don't care about what might happen next to these characters. Thanks for the helpful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam. I'm the same too. If I don't like any of the characters . . . well it's generally not too good for the book. I'm just lucky that I finished this one to begin with.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...