Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Last Echo by Kimberly Derting

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: HarperCollins

Pages: 360pgs

The Story

In the end, all that's left is an echo . . .

Violet kept her morbid ability to sense dead bodies a secret from everyone except her family and her childhood-best-friend-turned-boyfriend, Jay Heaton. That is until forensic psychologist Sara Priest discovered Violet's talent and invited her to use her gift to track down murderers. Now, as she works with an eclectic group of individuals - including mysterious and dangerously attractive Rafe - it's Violet's job to help those who have been murdered by bringing their killers to justice.

When Violet discovers the body of a college girl killed by "the girlfriend collector" she is determined to solve the case. But now the serial killer is on the lookout for a new "relationship" and Violet may have caught his eye . . .

The Review

I had so many high hopes for the third installment, THE LAST ECHO, of Kimberly Derting's bestselling young adult series The Body Finder. As expected the author continues to deliver a spine-tingling mystery with that same-old 'creepiness factor' that we love and adore in her writing (because they are so creepy, right?) and her books always leaves me with one eye open throughout the night, but for this time round there was just something missing in this next chapter of Violet Mathers's story and it's rather a pity too.

The main heroine, Violet, has been greatly loved by me from the first two books in the series and even today she still remains to be one of my favourite characters in the YA book genre. Being your not so average teenage girl with literal body-finding abilities and forever finding herself entangled in all sorts of mysterious and deadly cases, ones where she marginally escapes death itself, Violet in her short lifespan has experienced more than your average teenager should and I admire how she deals with every single situation that is thrown at her. That's what we love most about her character. However, while our Vi is strong, capable and determined, but much like with the storyline something has changed in Violet's character. Not in a bad way per se but enough to make me question her motives. From the previous two installments she had so much trust in others, especially with her family and friends, but I thought she trusted her new "family" of friends, her FBI gang with similar abilities as hers, a little too easily. Mostly with Rafe's character whom we met from book two.

Now I've found myself completely frustrated with this book (which was probably the central reason to why I didn't like this book as much as the others), more so when it came to the whole love triangle fiasco that Derting has etched into this story. Not only was it the direction I was hoping to avoid but it was also something that I felt - personally - didn't need to be in there in order for readers to fall even harder for this series. It just wasn't needed since we have Jay to cheer us up, the childhood best friend and now boyfriend of Violet, who is . . . honestly . . . the perfect boy through everyone's eyes and I love him to bits. He's totally in my top 5 of hot fictional boys and unlike those fierce and mysterious fantasy boys, what appeals to me most about Jay is how normal and down-to-earth he is and I want a Jay of my own! Seriously where is my own Jay been hiding? Who knows, really. But what this book lacked in so many ways was Jay himself and it was a total downer to say the least.

In the romance department I still firmly believe that Jay and Violet are made for each other - they're just SO perfect together - and he's always been there for her and her body-finder ability right from the start of things, but for once in this series I just wanted more spotlight put onto Jay's character because he clearly deserves it and he's totally capable of so much more than the author is willing to offer up for his character. Sure the character Rafe, a boy we were introduced to in the second book, Desires of the Dead, is an intriguing character all on his own and I can see what others see in him (you know with him being the mysterious dude with some hair full of secrets haha), but what I don't understand is why Violet would ever think about Rafe or look at him in a way she has always looked at Jay . . . especially when she now has the perfect Jay all to herself. Oh man, Vi needs to seriously rethink her situation because I've had it. *shakes head* You have Jay Vi . . . JAY! YOU DON'T NEED RAFE . . . like . . . EVER!

Overall, THE LAST ECHO was a disappointing third installment (it just didn't go the way I hoped it would) but the whole 'Girlfriend Collector' mystery was equally as enthralling as the other two installments beforehand and it reminded me so much of the Kiss the Girls movie which I loved. So, if you're already a fan of this series and of this author, then you're still going to love this new book no matter the frustrations of its love triangles and teenage angst. It's a killer for sure!

The Rating
3 1/2 / 5 stars

12 comments:

  1. WHY on Earth would she introduce a love triangle in the third book?! That to me says that she didn't quite know how to fill those pages, and it makes me super angry, especially from an author with so much potential like Derting.
    Well, color me disappointed.
    GReat review, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rafe is like the third wheel for me. I mean at the end of this book (at least from what I understand) the love triangle is soon cleared up but still . . . Rafe is out of place here because I love Jay so much. So I hope it's just Jay-Vi all in the next book.

      Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. I've only read the first book in this series. I liked it, although I haven't been that compelled to continue the series. I really liked that Jay started out as a best friend and moved into being more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely give this series another go. The second book was quite entertaining.

      Delete
  3. Urghh...I HATE it when two characters are perfect together, but a few books into the series, another potential suitor is introduced. WHY!?!?! HALF THE TIME LOVE TRIANGLES ARE NOT NECESSARYYYYY! Awwwwwww Jay sounds SO sweet! I'll definitely be picking up the first book when I have time :) I NEED to meet Jay and Vi!<3 Awesome review Erin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay IS sweet. If only Vi would stop and think how lucky she is . . .

      Thanks Shirley!

      Delete
  4. Oh, Erin, I'm sorry! I've not read the series, but I swear I've been hearing similar things about it just being missing something... especially when you love the series so much.

    And... the romance sounds frustrating, especially when so much time has been spent developing a solid romance to mess with it and UGH.

    Boo :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They shouldn't mess with my solid shippings! hehe. It's sad on my part but I'm still looking forward to seeing what happens next since I have faith this series will get better.

      Delete
  5. Omg, your review totally nailed what I felt about this book. I didnt even wrote a review about this yet because I wasnt able to finish it, what a shame really. I loved the first book so much and when I read the first half of the second book I was like "blah". Like you said there is something missing here. I love Jay too and he makes me swoon whenever he's in the scene but the turns in this book didnt work out for me, but I might have to brave it and continue reading this book too.... hopefully soon. Incredible review Erin x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would continue it if you've already read the other two books, but yeah . . . it's disppointing. I hope we have more of Jay in the fourth book. Fingers crossed.

      Thanks! :)

      Delete
  6. Amazing review, Erin! I read the first two books and enjoyed them but feel a little reluctant to pick this one up. Your issues with it are things I've heard before, especially with the love triangle. Though I'm glad it had redeeming qualities, at least. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! The redeeming qualities really make up for the love triangle thing, so definitely read this book if you've enjoyed the other two books.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...