Friday, November 8, 2013

Elegy by Amanda Hocking

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Pan Macmillan

Pages: 542pgs

The Story

Gemma's life is slowly being destroyed. Cursed as a siren, she is struggling to escape a destiny of savagery and darkness. She's desperate to break the spell that has turned her into a monster and torn her away from the family- and the boy- she loves. But the alluring yet lethal sirens, Penn, Thea and the newly initiated Liv, have no intention of letting her go.

The Review

A big thanks to Pan Macmillan Australia for sending me a review copy of this book!

ELEGY is the fourth and final installment of the Watersong series. The book picks up soon after the previous book's events, Tidal, had left off at, with our main character, Gemma, who is still searching for a way to escape the fate of her becoming a siren and joining the ranks of her other siren 'sisters'.

While I wished the series was written as a trilogy instead of four books (mostly because I found some events in the books were dragged out a little more than they needed to be), but surprisingly I still quite enjoyed this fourth book and that's probably because the book had a much faster pace going for it, especially when I compared it to the other three installments in the series, so I'm quite glad it worked faster this time for me, even though the book is much longer than the others.

In terms of the storyline, while this series is not my favourite coming from Hocking, but again I still enjoyed it because it was a means to an end with the series and it was also because we finally get the right conclusion we needed for all of the characters - the good and the bad, so along those lines I was quite happy with how everything ended. But in terms of the characters however . . . I don't know . . . but for some reason I just found some characters lacked a certain oomph coming from them this time, but Gemma, surprisingly, had really stepped up her game in this final installment so I'm glad she finally did that and showed those siren sisters (who tried to make her one of them) who's boss, so well done to Gemma for that! I was really cheering for her! And as for the other characters . . . I didn't really care for them all that much to be honest with you, especially Gemma's sister and Gemma's own love interest because I cared more about what happens to Gemma, but yeah . . . Gemma and even her siren sisters were more than enough entertainment that I needed so the supporting characters didn't particularly matter to me personally.

Overall, ELEGY was a decent conclusion to the Watersong series and I think most readers of Hocking's will be quite pleased with the ending.

The Rating
3/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...