Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pivot Point by Kasie West

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: HarperTeen

Pages: 320pgs

The Story

Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.

The Review

PIVOTAL POINT . . . I'm not quite sure what you are exactly nor am I sure what to say about you quite yet but . . . I think I love you very much. Very much indeed. Now I don't know know about you guys who have actually read this book right here, but I found it was the type of book that is a really, really hard to explain, which isn't a bad thing at all. From reading the blurb you're totally expecting this sci-fi-like story and yet once you keep on reading it . . . it also reads more like a contemporary title as well, so I guess you'll have to read this book to find out for yourself what exactly I'm talking about here. But to sum it all up for you: It was a real enigma this one!

I won't get into the major details but throughout the book it's told by two Addie's (our main character) whom have two entirely different futures and yet these two futures are somehow - in someway - are told into one full story and the main character (to get to the gist of it) needs to figure which future she wants to go with. Think of the movie (and one of my favourites too) Sliding Doors. If you know that movie well enough, you'll totally GET this book. Personally the way this book is told is one of the most unique ways to tell a story and I thought the author was very clever too in how she wrote it because not many authors could tell it so effortlessly like she had done without confusing you, you know? Yeah, I thought it was really well done.

But what I loved most about the book - apart from its witty dialogue, unique storyline and the whole development of the storyline itself - was the characters! Now I absolutely loved the characters! Addie, especially, was such an awesome main heroine to have and - like her - I too, was struggling to cope with what future she was going to end up with. I mean, one moment you think she's going to pick Future 1 and then as you keep on reading her choices keep switching back-and-forth and I wanted her to go with Future 2 then but then back to Future 1. Argh. Such a little twister this one! But I think out of everything, what people will take away from this book is Mr. Hottie Trevor and how cute he is! Oh Trevor . . . you made up for everything in this book because Addie had this other guy 'Duke' and I absolutely hated him. But oh Trevor . . . you're so super shy and so super-powered in super sweetness. I just want you all to myself. When you read this book ladies . . . you'll get what I mean. Trevor is every girl's dream . . . well, he is for me! Hehe. C'mon he DRAWS, loves COMICS and ultimately he is just a SWEET guy all round. Perfection.

Overall, PIVOT POINT was such a unique book and I loved how the main character's own feelings never once dictated her with which path she would end up choosing in the end. So, if you love a book crossed between X-Men and Sliding Doors, then I think this will be the perfect book for you because I'm sooooooo ready for the next sequel! Bring it on I say!

The Rating
4 1/2 / 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. yes! Addie was awesome and I loved everything about this book. Very surprising since I am not a big fan of time traveling/parallel universes.

    great review Erin!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I LOVE time travelling and parallel universes but it's not for everyone I guess. But yeah, Addie was such an awesome character. She made it so easy to connect with her. Thanks Juhina! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...