Thursday, May 23, 2013

Wildlife by Fiona Wood

Release Date: 1st June, 2013

Publisher: Pan Macmillan

Pages: 384pgs

The Story

Boarding for a term in the wilderness, sixteen-year-old Sibylla expects the gruesome outdoor education program – but friendship complications, and love that goes wrong? They’re extra-curricula.

Enter Lou from Six Impossible Things – the reluctant new girl for this term in the great outdoors. Fragile behind an implacable mask, she is grieving a death that occurred almost a year ago. Despite herself, Lou becomes intrigued by the unfolding drama between her housemates Sibylla and Holly, and has to decide whether to end her self-imposed detachment and join the fray. 

And as Sibylla confronts a tangle of betrayal, she needs to renegotiate everything she thought she knew about surviving in the wild.


The Review

A big thanks to Pan Macmillan Australia for sending me a review copy of this book!

I've heard some wonderful things about Fiona Wood's writing and considering this is my very first book that I have read of hers, surprisingly I quite enjoyed this book. It's not the usual read I would pick up but I still found it had a very fun contemporary feel to it and it's a simple story about coming of age which I always love to read about.

The thing I loved most in this book was the characters and how I could easily relate to them. They are very realistic in a sense of personality and the drama that they all went through, and the characters themselves just reminded of the good old days of being a teenager and going through the moods, the hormones, and the bickering that your average teens go through at one stage of their lives (or rather still goes through hehe) . . . yeah it was really good in that sense and I thought Fiona Wood wrote everything well.

Overall, WILDLIFE is a great, quick read and I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves contemporary themes and a bit of teenage drama in the mist of it all. I might even consider reading more of Fiona Wood's work because of this book.

The Rating
3/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...