Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Out of The Easy by Ruta Sepetys

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Philomel Books

Pages: 346pgs

The Story

It’s 1950, and as the French Quarter of New Orleans simmers with secrets, seventeen-year-old Josie Moraine is silently stirring a pot of her own. Known among locals as the daughter of a brothel prostitute, Josie wants more out of life than the Big Easy has to offer. 

She devises a plan get out, but a mysterious death in the Quarter leaves Josie tangled in an investigation that will challenge her allegiance to her mother, her conscience, and Willie Woodley, the brusque madam on Conti Street. Josie is caught between the dream of an elite college and a clandestine underworld. New Orleans lures her in her quest for truth, dangling temptation at every turn, and escalating to the ultimate test.

The Review

When you read a book by an author you have already had the pleasure of reading before, you know something is going to be good from the get-go with whatever they write next. But then you have more expectations of the author because of this. Thankfully though it worked on my part because Ruta Sepetys's second book, OUT OF THE EASY, went beyond my own expectations and the writing within itself was perfect right from the very beginning. The story was emotional, the characters were realistic in every sense, and on a whole I thought it was one of the best historical and contemporary books I have come across lately and I wished I read it sooner than I did.

The reason I loved this book more than I first expected was because of the main character herself, Josie, who was the prominent part of the entire storyline. She was the reason why I kept on reading because her voice and the story she told about her own life was so interesting and completely captivating . . . plus I love the fact her journey was all about finding a new life for herself to be away from a mother who treated her so badly. And still does. It was all girl-power for me with this book and I love a character who fights for what she believes in. It's definitely something I would recommend to all girls to read as it sends this great message to girls of all ages. At least that's what I found the story was telling me personally.

But another element of the story that I quite enjoyed was the setting of New Orleans. I don't know why I love it so much or why it interests me so, but if I had to guess it would be because of the town is always known to be so colourful, vivid and so vibrant in many ways, and it is so unlike America which a lot of authors tend to choose as their background settings these days and one of which I'm quite bored of lately so I'm glad the author had chose something non-traditional-like. It just suited the story much more in the end.

Overall, OUT OF THE EASY was a delightful read and is one of the best books I've read this year. If you love the 1950's, New Orleans, strong-willed characters and an interesting-but-dangerous mysteries that the author has clearly created for her main character to solve, then I think you are all going to love this book! It certainly surprised me in many, many ways!


The Rating
5/5 stars

4 comments:

  1. Josie sounds like a terrific character. I love it when they pursue their dream and when they have the power to break free :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely loved Josie. I think any reader would love her! :)

      Delete
  2. This is such a great review! I loved this book a lot! I, too, was fascinated by the New Orleans setting

    Cait x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...