Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fateful by Claudia Gray

Release Date: 1st September, 2011

Publisher: HarperCollins

Pages: 356pgs

The Story

The RMS Titanic is the most luxurious ship in the world, but all Tess Davies wants to do is escape the overbearing family she works for. Travelling as a maid for the Lisles, Tess is trapped amid painful memories and twisted family secrets. Once their ship reaches its destination, Tess plans to strike out on her own.

Tess's single-minded focus shatters when she meets Alec, a handsome and mysterious upper-class passenger who captivates her instantly. But Alec has secrets of his own. As she uncovers what he has been concealing, Tessa quickly becomes entangled in the mystery surrounding Alec's fate.

Soon Tess will learn that the danger they face is no ordinary enemy: that werewolves exist and are stalking him - and now her, too. Her growing love for Alec will put Tess in mortal peril, and fate will do the same before their journey on the Titanic is over.

The Review

A big thanks to Lara from HarperCollins for sending me a review copy of this book!

When it comes to Claudia Gray, I wasn't a fan of her Evernight series however in her new book FATEFUL, she has clearly won me over both in her writing and in her ability of storytelling! You see I'm a real history buff and I've always adored the tale of the Titanic, as it's so very heart-breaking and there's just something about it that captivates you. Mind you, when I first heard about the book and it being about werewolves and set in this period of time, I was a little skeptical because I didn't know how well Gray could pull it off. But indeed she did. Very, very, very well too!

First off, let's talk about the storyline. I loved it very much and honestly . . . I couldn't get enough of it. While the romance was the main part of the book, but to me, one of the best elements of the story was already knowing what would happen - what with the Titanic sinking and all. Knowing in any moment the large infamous ship would sink, it made the book so incredibly exciting and adventurous. I was just waiting for the iceberg to hit . . . allowing each and every chapter to thrill to me. Gah! It was just amazing and I'm glad Gray had set it against a very amazing backdrop. Not to mention it was so romantic - well, you know, sort of.

When it comes to the characters, unlike in Evernight, I loved every single of them - the good, the bad, and the ugly. Tess in particular was my favourite heroine in the book. Tess is the sweetest girl you will ever meet, a simple servant girl - both smart and kickass - trying to make her way over to the US. One of the things you have to admire about Tess is that she's not your typical servant girl. She's one who dreams and sets high expectations for herself, in hope of making a better life for her own future. The true moment where I loved her completely was when she 'dared' herself to dress up - go beyond her servant self - and come aboard to the first class deck. In that moment I knew she was gusty and truly inspiring. Same goes with her love interest, Alec. Before you think werewolves are overdone in young adult fiction, you must devour this book to meet the handsome and delectable Alec. I just loved his and Tess's interaction with one another, and while their love develops into something so much more . . . ah, their love alone made me love this book entirely! Even before I finished the book. And those implied 'scenes' . . . perfect Claudia Gray!

I never thought that I would love this book, but when everything clicked into place, FATEFUL worked out and became such a mind-blowing experience for me. With the perfect balance of action, danger, historical fiction, myths, and a beautifully-crafted romance, FATEFUL is the type of book you will never ever want to put down! Once you start, it will lock you away until you finish the very end. Dark, engaging, and suspenseful, FATEFUL is a must read for everyone looking for the next big thing!

The Rating

5/5 stars

10 comments:

  1. Aw man, I was excited before but then you had to go and write a gushing review and now I REALLY can't wait to get my hands on this! I am so, so happy to hear how great it is because when it comes to the Titanic, I suppose it has a lot of expectations to live up to. Love the idea of werewolves aboard the ship! Awesome review, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brodie. Haha I'm glad that I've got you even more excited for this book! This book really surprised me . . . LOVED it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for this book! I haven't read her other series, but I really want too. I am glad that you enjoyed fateful so much! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! This one sounds amazing. I'll definitely have to get a copy soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loads of people seem to be loving this one, really glad you enjoyed it! I'm intrigued by the werewolf aspect and how it's different to other YA books - great review, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really excited to read this one :) Great review! I definitely need a Claudia Gray fix after finishing the Evernight series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to all for commenting! I can't wait to see what you guys think of this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I have this in my TBR pile. And have seen 2 awesome reviews in the past 24hours.. will have to read this next! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jena! You'll definitely have to read this book. Surprised me in many ways. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh I'm so glad you liked this one! It has such potential and I was worried it would be disappointing. Now I'm looking forward to it even more! Great review!

    I'm a new follower. :)
    Andie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...