Friday, September 9, 2011

One Grave at a Time by Jeaniene Frost

Release Date: 30th August, 2011

Publisher: Avon Books

Pages: 358pgs

The Story

The grave is one wrong step away.

Having narrowly averted an (under)world war, Cat Crawfield wants nothing more than a little downtime with her vampire husband, Bones. Unfortunately, her gift from New Orleans' voodoo queen just keeps on giving - leading to a personal favor that sends them into battle once again, this time against a villainous spirit.

Centuries ago, Heinrich Kramer was a witch hunter. Now, every All Hallows Eve, he takes physical form to torture innocent women before burning them alive. This year, however, a determined Cat and Bones must risk all to send him back to the other side of eternity - forever. But how do you kill a killer who's already long dead?

The Review

As a long-time and loyal fan of Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series, I was absolutely thrilled to hear she would be writing yet another Cat & Bones book! Now I don't usually read adult paranormal romance books but Frost is an exception because every time I pick up one of her books, I know straight away that I won't be disappointed and that I'll be always entertained - whether it's by the action scenes or the hilarious banter thrown between characters. While this book may not be the strongest point in the series, as I felt something was missing from this particular installment, however this adventure definitely had its great moments.

Without giving away the storyline, I have to say that this series would not be successful without their main characters and their supporting ones too. Without Cat and Bones, together as a couple, this book series would not work. The thing I love about Cat and Bones is that from the beginning of the series to the very point here in ONE GRAVE AT A TIME . . . we've seen them grow and overcome all sorts of struggles, and see them be stronger as a couple and also individually. So it's great to see them finally come together and kick some major ass. They're probably my favourite fictional couple ever which is saying something since it's not common to love a couple so much like I do with them. Then of course, one of the book's strongest elements is the supporting characters. Fans of this series will be glad to have appearances from Ian (missed you Ian!), Spade (Spade!!!!!), Denise (Denissssseeeee you're awesome in this book), and even meeting a few new and hilarious characters. And I'm talking about you Tyler. The only real downer for me was that there was no Vlad! How could you forget one of my favourite characters?!?! But since he's getting his own spin-off series, I will try to forgive and forget.

While we've seen a lot of villains in our time, but nothing can compare to the evil and perhaps the most disturbing villain of all - Kramer. He was really evil! The things he would do to women . . . well, no wonder why Cat was so angry about him. Now as for the love scenes - which Jeaniene Frost is famous for - between Cat and Bones, I can say to you all that you will be disappointed by this book if you expect more from those type of scenes. From what I can recall, there's only one love scene in the book and it was - for my taste - a little crazy than I'm used to and I wished it was set in a way more intimately. But nonetheless, ONE GRAVE AT A TIME is another great installment to my beloved Night Huntress series and I'm seriously looking forward to the next book Jeaniene Frost puts up . . . which I'm sure will involve a lot of high stakes and more Cat & Bones love that all readers love her for!

The Rating

4/5 stars

4 comments:

  1. I've read a lot of good things about this series and especially this Bones guy, but seriously I think you won me over by saying they're your favourite fictional couple ever! Now I HAVE to read it! The villain sounds incredibly twisted too. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brodie. Trust me . . . you'll love this couple! ;) Bones especially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I have my copy but I haven't started this one yet. I'm looking forward to it. Frost is one of the very few adult paranormal authors I read as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Frost is the very few adult novelists that I read. Love her.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...