Friday, August 23, 2013

Frigid by J. Lynn

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Spencer Hill

Pages: 240pgs

The Story

For twenty-one-year-old Sydney, being in love with Kyler isn't anything new. They'd been best friends ever since he pushed her down on the playground and she made him eat a mud pie. Somewhere over the years, she fell for him and fell hard. The big problem with that? Kyler puts the 'man' in man-whore. He's never stayed with a girl longer than a few nights, and with it being their last year in college, Syd doesn't want to risk their friendship by declaring her love. 

Kyler has always put Syd on a pedestal that was too high for him to reach. To him, she's perfect and she's everything. But the feelings he has for her, he's always hidden away or focused on any other female. After all, Kyler will always be the poor boy from the wrong side of tracks, and Syd will always be the one girl he can never have. 

But when they're stranded together at a posh ski resort due to a massive Nor'easter, there's nothing stopping their red-hot feelings for each other from coming to the surface. Can their friendship survive the attraction? Better yet, can they survive at all? Because as the snow falls, someone is stalking them, and this ski trip may be a life-changer in more ways than one.

The Review

I really liked this book. But then again, this fact doesn't come as a total shock for me really because much like with any other of J. Lynn's previous work or as she is sometimes known as, Jennifer L. Armentrout, a young adult author, this particular author really knows how to really hit the mark properly with her readers and she does that by writing emotionally deep characters, sexy romances, page-turning twists and not to mention she writes great plot lines as well that will make any type of girl swoon by the end of the book. She is really that good at writing that stuff my friends and again she has hit that mark once more for me.

In my opinion, FRIGID may not have been my favourite of all favourites coming from J. Lynn, young adult or not, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it as did many other readers from what reviews I have seen and read lately. Whether it was because the story was about best friends turning into something more (my favourite!) or it was because the story was much more dangerous than I had first imagined (which is always a plus in my books) or it was because of the sexy moments occurring between the two main characters, I still do not know why but it was just so good, but in the end of it all, I think you can thank the characters for all of that enjoyment that I had received because they were the shining stars in this one.

Sydney, for one, was a great main character and I could definitely identify with her on several levels, especially with her confidence because like her I had found it very hard to come out of my shell (and I still do). But as Sydney slowly develops into this very strong and very determined young woman, in the end you do really become proud of her, even when she did make some pretty silly decisions now and again in the book. Especially with her relationships. This includes Kyler, Sydney's best friend and the one person she has always loved however she has never been seen in that light by her BFF.

Now personally for me, I struggled quite a lot to come around to liking Kyler (even though I did eventually begin to like and understand him more towards the end of the book) and that's because I'm not particularly a fan of man-whores, which he is described often by others as, and the reason why I hate those kind of guys is because those ones rarely - if not at all - change their ways with sleeping around and not holding any form of 'attachments' with whatever relationship they are currently in. I'm just not a fan of those 'guys' at all. They're not the sort of people to get romantically involve with. But in Sydney's case it's a totally different situation (because she and Kyler are best friends) and somehow the two of them definitely had this strange kind of chemistry about them and I think readers will certainly love those two being together, but whether or not you find their sudden romance believable or not, I guess it's really up to you with that one. As for me though, while I do get their relationship from the get-go and love them as characters as well, but in real life circumstances I just didn't believe Kyler would ever stick to just that one girl, you know? Even Sydney. I feel bad for saying that (really I do!) but readers cannot deny that he was a jerk for the majority of this book and yet he is a great best friend. Haha. Go figure!

Overall, FRIGID was a great story and is one that will definitely - and eventually - grow on you as time passes, even when a character or two can get you so frustrated at times. But with plenty of sexy times for its readers and funny one-liners, I think this book will have you swooning all the way through, whether you like or love to hate Kyler along the way.

The Rating
4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...