Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

Release Date: August, 2011

Publisher: Mira

Pages: 293pgs

The Story

It's always been just Kate and her mom - and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld - and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass the seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy - until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.

The Review

THE GODDESS TEST is based around Greek Mythology, where our heroine, Kate, makes a deal with Henry (Hades) in return for saving her friend's life, and to spend more time with her mother before she dies. But Kate will need to pass seven tests of the council to become Henry's wife, otherwise her memory is wiped, and Henry will fade into nothingness.

Clearly there is an outpour of Greek-Mythology-based books in the young adult fictional world and that's not necessarily a bad thing when it comes to being caught up into a 'trend'. Because I'm all for it. Apart from Josephine Angelini's Starcrossed book that was released earlier this year, this book right here has also become one of my favourites too. So to all those who are dissing this novel on Goodreads, while I understand your frustrations when it comes to Kate's actions and the quick-romance shared between her and Henry, but to those who didn't fully read and be engaged in this book, I seriously recommend giving this book another go. I hardly saw any faults in the book and since I'm a lover and interested in the Greek myths, I found this book was very entertaining and I wanted more!

One of the things I liked about THE GODDESS TEST was our heroine, Kate, herself. To me it was easy, as a reader, to empathize with her situation and all the crazy things that kept happening to her. I think anyone with a dying parent or a dying friend would want to do anything they could to hold onto them a little longer, so I admired her choices when it came to that and even with Henry and the seven tests. As clueless as Kate was, she did make some mistakes in trusting the wrong people, but she was still a loveable character whom you wanted to get to know more and I guess without her in the story this story would not work. And after all, mistakes come with being a teenager. We all make them from time-time. Also, when it comes to Henry, I absolutely loved his character. Who wouldn't love him? Some say he's creepy but I say he's someone who needs a person to understand him for the way he is. Sure, he didn't have much personality (who does nowadays), but what did you expect for a God stuck in a hot boy's body? Plus that added a mystery to him, which I also liked. As for the supporting cast of many characters, they were needed for the storyline but I couldn't say I loved them all because I didn't trust them, much like the way Kate couldn't either. But all-in-all, I loved all of the characters - the good, the bad and the crazy ones.

Another element I liked most about this book was how the external plot was surrounded with gods and there were plenty of surprises thrown my way, ones I didn't expect either. Which was good. So for those looking for a great young adult story to keep you entertained throughout the day and night, then be sure to pick up a copy of THE GODDESS TEST! Aimee Carter has a delightful debut novel here that has an unique spin on the Hades and Persephone myth, with a storyline of her own. Original. Intriguing. Surprising. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel of this trilogy and I can't wait to see what the author comes up with next!

The Rating
4 1/2 / 5 stars

7 comments:

  1. Yay, you loved it!! I know there's some mixed opinions, but I feel the exact way as you. It was a fantastic book and have you read the synopsis for Goddess Interrupted?? Sounds AWESOME! The ending definitely was a surprise for me, but I like being shocked, rather than have suspicions all the way through.

    Love your review, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't love this one but I did like it. I was surprised at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brodie: It was a great book. And yes, I read the sequel's synopsis. Sounds awesome!! Thanks for commenting.

    Sara: At least you liked it. The ending was very surprising. A nice turn around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this one too--can't wait for the next book.
    Awesome reiew Erin...like always, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rachel! :) Glad you loved this too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Umm....why is the cover the one for Vespertine? Confused.

    Anyways I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I loved it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah it's the same cover model for Vespertine. They used the same model for Dark Angel by Eden Maguire too. Strange isn't it? Only this cover has a red dress instead of the brown one. I don't like this cover compared to the beautiful US one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...