Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

Release Date: 31st August, 2011

Publisher: Atheneum

Pages: 543pgs

The Story

Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due - so unfair - on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he'd rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can't help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.

The Review

Okay before I start, I just want to say that I wasn't going to read this book, mainly because I don't like cheerleaders being the heroine's. Truth be told, I usually find myself disconnecting from the story when you have those typical American high school popular girls with their ever-do-dumb jock boyfriends - if you know what I mean. But since this book revolved around my beloved and ultimate favourite poet of all time - Mr. Edgar Allan Poe himself, who is a real inspiration to me and to my own writing - I knew I had to read this book as soon as possible! Judging from the raving reviews and all the great things people had to say about NEVERMORE, I'm so glad that I gave this book a chance because I couldn't dare take my eyes off Kelly Creagh's descriptive and captivating pages filled with wow-ing words . . . it was everything that I hoped it would be for me and more!

At first glance of the storyline, you straight away think of the cliche popular girl falling for the outcast guy and no one can understand their relationship. You think to yourself, "This is the same old young adult love story . . ." but don't - I mean ever - overlook this book. The thing about the main character, Isobel, while she maybe popular and a cheerleader, but she was smart in loving cheerleading for what is rather than what is represented and I loved her instantly in the very first chapter. Sure, she was a little not sure of herself as a person, but as the story progressed further, I really admired her standing up against her so-called 'friends' for Varen and she didn't care about what others thought of her. She just kept her head high no matter what. Even if she was upset about it from time-to-time. Now this leads me to Varen . . . what can I say without falling madly in love with him? Seriously if I was in high school again, I wished Varen was real and my boyfriend. I have a thing for the 'outcast' guy but what I loved most about him was how dreamy he was and how he respected and 'worshipped' the words of Poe - my kind of guy! But right here and right now, I will stop talking about Varen because I won't stop so make note of this: he's everything you want in a love interest - an unknown entity that you need to unravel by reading the whole of this amazing book! He's great.

For me what really nailed NEVERMORE's story was Kelly Creagh's writing! She managed to juggle a book with so much love and passion of Poe, and also added some great banter and mystery for Isobel and Varen's character. It was one of the best books I've read this year and I'm definitely looking, wanting, craving . . . for more NEVERMORE action and adventure! The cliffhanger at the end was a real killer and you guys MUST read this book! If you're not an obsessed fan of Edgar Allan Poe like myself, then don't worry if you haven't read any of his work, because the story itself has so many interesting facts about him and Kelly Creagh has twisted it into a whole new ball of fun!

The Rating

5/5 stars

7 comments:

  1. I tend not to be too into the stories where the heroine is the super popular girl in high school, either. I just can't relate to them, haha.

    I've been hearing good things about this book, though, so I've been thinking maybe I should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hearing so many incredible things about this book since it's release a while back, but for some reason I just never got myself a copy.

    I'm pleased to see you love it so. It makes me more inclined to finally buy it, lol.

    Rachel @ The Rest Is Still Unwritten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen: I'm not a fan of the popular girl story, but this book surprised me in many ways. Definitely give it a go.

    Rachel: Be sure to check it out. It's such a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You only just read this?? I could have SWORN you read it before I did! So happy you're a fan though, I totally agree with everything you wrote and cannot flipping wait for the sequel after that ending Kelly left us with. And I loved Varen too! <3 Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review. Ive come around this book before but never really read it, Ill try again! thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brodie: I wasn't able to get a copy of this book. But I got the re-release paperback book of it and it totally rocked.

    Lalaine: Thanks. Be sure to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you think the ending was too long? Where she goes back into the in-between reality. I kind of felt it dragged on. Your review is great, though! I'd definitely read it after this review if I hadn't already!

    I'd never heard of the Poe Toaster, but love that the author modeled one of her characters after the real life mystery man.
    -Jenna @ Fans of Fiction

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...