Thursday, October 6, 2011

Love Story by Jennifer Echols

Release Date: 19th July, 2011

Publisher: MTV Books

Pages: 243pgs

The Story

She's writing about him. He's writing about her. And everybody is reading between the lines.

For Erin Blackwell, majoring in creative writing at the New York City college of her dreams is more than a chance to fulfill her ambitions - it's her ticket away from the tragic memories that shadow her family's racehorse farm in Kentucky. But when she refuses to major in business and take over the farm herself someday, her grandmother gives Erin's college tuition and promised inheritance to their maddeningly handsome stable boy, Hunter Allen. Now Erin has to win an internship and work late nights at a coffee shop to make her own dreams a reality. She should despite Hunter . . . so why does he sneak into her thoughts as the hero of her latest writing assignment?

Then, on the day she's sharing the assignment with her class, Hunter walks in. And after he reads about himself in her story, her private fantasies about him must be painfully clear. She only hopes to persuade him not to reveal her secret to everyone else. But Hunter devises his own creative revenge, writing sexy stories that drive the whole class wild with curiosity and fill Erin's heart with longing. Now she's not just imagining what might have been. She's writing a whole new ending for her romance with Hunter . . . except this story could come true.

The Review

A big thanks to Jennifer Echols for sending me an autographed review copy of this book!

My name is Erin. Her name is Erin. My middle name contains the name Elizabeth. Her middle name is Elizabeth. I want to study Creative Writing. She is studying Creative Writing. I love writing my own stories. She loves writing her stories. As you see by the similarities between myself and the main character Erin Blackwell, it's no wonder why I love this book already - even before reading it - and because I'm a super huge fan of Jennifer Echols's book Going Too Far, I pretty much knew this book was going to be another winner for me. And it definitely was through my eyes. Plus when I got this book in the mail, it was signed by the lovely author who provided me with this review copy. So kudos to Jennifer Echols and her writing awesomeness!

First of all, let me just say I loved how the author raised the ages of the characters and wrote a book set in a college campus environment. For me this is something very rare for a young adult fictional book and I think we need more of these for our older teen readers. Everything from the storyline to the characters, it all worked out really well for the story's premise.

In Jennifer Echols new book LOVE STORY, Erin Blackwell grew up in Kentucky with her grandmother and lived on their racehorse farm. But unlike her grandmother and the life she wants for her granddaughter, Erin has big dreams to become a professional writer in New York City and when she leaves for college to major in Creative Writing, her grandmother cuts her off financially and leaves her inheritance and her money to the handsome stable boy, Hunter Allen, who has agreed to take over the family business. Much to Erin's dismay and shock. Then, Hunter eventually shows up at the same college Erin is attending and not to mention joins her class of Creative Writing. He didn't choose an ideal time either, because Erin has written a steamy romance story and is reading it to the entire writing class - spotlighting the 'stable boy.' But Hunter has his own plans because he too writes a steamy hot story that has all the students eating out of his hands . . . and Erin realizes that the tables have now turned.

I'm going to lay it on the table - I really loved this book. More importantly I loved the creative writing classes and the stories traded between Erin and Hunter. Their lives are the inspiration to their stories and while being criticized by their fellow peers, little do they know how true the events are and how close they follow the character's actual lives. It was just a really interesting way to look at things and discover little secrets along the way. While I loved all of the supporting characters throughout the book, but what really got to me was the undeniable romance between Erin and Hunter. They were both interesting characters with their own set of dreams and the two of them had spot on tension and chemistry which a lot of readers will love. I found Erin as a character was a little too judgemental for her own good, but I love her aspirations and the feeling how nothing will ever get in her way. As for Hunter, I adored him but damn that boy took his time to admit his feelings . . . but then again that's what boys do.

Now I would've given the book 5 stars but for me the major let-down was the ending. Ah . . . how the ending disappointed me so. I don't particularly like books that have chapters that build to a certain point of tension and then just when you think something big is going to happen and change the course of the events, you suddenly have that tension shrink, leaving you questioning some things. The ending for me was too rushed for my taste and I was a little confused by a couple of things that happened. But overall, you have great characters, great chemistry, and a great love story all round. Jennifer Echols's LOVE STORY will satisfy any reader of a light-hearted romance - with some steamy twists - and I highly recommend this one!

The Rating

4 1/2 / 5 stars

8 comments:

  1. Lol at all the similarities! :P Glad you liked this one, I have it on my tbr and can't wait to read it! It's a shame about the ending, but it definitely sounds great overall. Fab review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I've been meaning to read Jennifer's books for a long time now. Glad it was all good except for the ending ;) Lucky duck - I want a signed review copy! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds cute! And I agree, it's refreshing to hear about a novel set in a college environment instead of high school or the professional world, for once!

    Sometimes I wish I'd tried my hand at a creative writing class, but I think I'd get too frustrated trying to come up with something that was not already done to death. Who knows, though - maybe someday when I've finished up my degree and have a little more time, I'll give it a go just for fun.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't read a lot of contemporary novels, but this one looks so good I've been dying to read it.
    Glad you loved it so and I'm so jealous Jennifer sent you an autographed copy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz: It was a great book and not because the main character shared my name. haha. Thanks for stopping by to comment.

    Lisa: I was a lucky duck. haha.

    Colleen: One day I want to study creative writing. But I'll do it once I'm done with my business courses. Thanks for commenting.

    Rachel: I don't read a lot of contemporary novel either. But yes, I'm so happy Jennifer signed it for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha clearly Jennifer has been stalking you! It's obvious you were her inspiration for this story :P Awesome review, Erin! I am so, so, so interested in reading this now! Shame about the ending, but the rest of the story sounds fantastic. And I love this story-swapping between the pair.

    Plus this sounds like it could fit into that "New Adult" genre that I saw ideas thrown around for it months ago. I really hope we see books like this - college-aged students - more often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review!!!! I have this one on my shelf, I am pining to read it even more after that review!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brodie: Haha so true. But yes, we need more of the "New Adult" genre for older teens.

    Jess: Definitely need to pick up and read it soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...