Monday, October 3, 2011

If I Die by Rachel Vincent

Release Date: 27th September, 2011

Publisher: Harlequin

Pages: 342pgs

The Story

The entire school's talking about the gorgeous new math teacher, Mr. Beck. Everyone except Kaylee Cavanaugh. After all, Kaylee's no ordinary high-school junior. She's a banshee - she screams when someone dies.

But the next scream might be for Kaylee.

Yeah - it's a shock to her, too. So to distract herself, Kaylee's going to save every girl in school. Because that hot new teacher is really an incubus who feeds on the desire of unsuspecting students. The only girls immune to his lure are Kaylee and Sabine, her boyfriend's needy ex-girlfriend. Now the unlikely allies have to get rid of Mr. Beck . . . before he discovers they aren't quite human, either.

But Kaylee's borrowed lifeline is nearing its end. And those who care about her will do anything to save her life.

Anything.

The Review

The truth is I love Rachel Vincent - an author who has become one of my ultimate favourites in both young adult and adult fiction. I will read anything of hers, especially any Soul Screamers book because you will never find yourself disappointed. Like many of my favourite book series, each book in this series keeps getting better and better, and I seriously don't know how Rachel Vincent does it. I believe some magical power is involved or perhaps a deal with the devil . . . when it comes to her ability to write. Now with our favourite heroine, Kaylee, she's faced with her impending death which is only a week away and I just had to sit down and devour the whole soul of this book in one sitting. And really, all I have to say is "Wow. Talk about high-running emotions!" Trust me, there are so many emotions here!

IF I DIE is the fifth installment of the Soul Screamers series and just within the first chapter, it's full of hard-hitting punch when Kaylee is told her 'borrowed time' is up. With the threat of Kaylee dying, instead of moping about and trying to figure out a way to wiggle out of this death issue, Kaylee focuses more on solving the problem of Mr. Beck - a soul-sucking-lusting incubus, who just happens to be the hot new maths teacher and who also happens to be using his girl students for his own advantage. But as the time starts to tick down, Kaylee will need to make more decisions than she originally planned - one including Nash.

I loved the other books in the series, but I LOVED this book the best. All the tension, the anticipation, the lust, the love, the wanting, the secrets, the lies . . . it was everything I hoped for and more. Unfortnately some readers maybe disappointed in Nash's character. Now I used to be Team Nash all the way because he was the guy you want in your life, but ever since the events of My Soul To Keep, the Nash we used to know isn't the same Nash anymore and we as fans need to accept this by the time you read the end of this book. I've accepted this now. However for Tod fans - a team which I'm officially on forever and forever and I won't look back, you guys will be super happy because he gets more of the spotlight and he's just super-awesome-swoon-worthy-type-of-delicious-guy that will have girls screaming like Kaylee! Let's just say Tod puts a wedge between Kaylee and the broken Nash, which I'm thankful for. Because I'll never forgive Nash nor will I respect him ever again. As for Kaylee's character, damn I love that girl! She has really come into her own and despite some flaws she had in this book, she finally knuckled down and made a decision that I respect her for. But I'm afraid that's all I can say for the meantime. I know I'm cruel.

Fans of the series will LOVE this book and it's typical for Rachel Vincent to make me falling on my knees and going, "I want more books!" That's just how she rolls as a best-selling author. And we love her for it. Rachel Vincent is gifted with so many talents of strong world-building, an unique and ever-so-fascinating and original 'paranormal' world, and of course, she has the amazing gift of writing characters that you have a rush of feelings for . . . and I'm talking about Kaylee and Tod here. Not Sabine of course, she was annoying as hell on fire. So I say to you all: READ THIS BOOK NOW BECAUSE THE REAPER WILL COME KNOCKING ON YOUR DOOR OTHERWISE. Or not. *winks* But if it was Tod knocking on my door . . . then I wouldn't mind a visit or two. *another wink*

The Rating

5/5 stars

10 comments:

  1. This is the second awesome review I have read for this book today. Your review has definitely piqued my interest in this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this books the best too! I started our loving the series, but #2 and #3 were a little meh for me, but #4 got my interest strong again and this one was just AMAZING! I agree with not respecting Nash. He honestly is just a douche. How he treats the people he cares about is all wrong. He treats Tod like crap and Kaylee... The whole situation with Sabine is ridiculous!

    Great review!! :) Hope you're having a wonderful Sunday!
    Liza @ Book Crook Liza

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what, I've been so scared to read this as a Team Nash fan, but I actually think I'm switching teams now. The more I think of books three and four, the less I like Nash. And the more I like Tod...so really glad you enjoyed this, because I'm actually really eager to read it now. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really have to catch up with this series. I need to read the last book and obviously this one too. <3 Todd!

    Awesome review--makes me want to read the books I haven't in this series more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just read If I Die, I used to be a Nash fan. But after this book two words changed my mind TOD HUDSON!!! Now that is a guy who will treat Kaylee right! And not be a complete like Nash. I agree with you about Sabine, she's annoying like no other, and so damn needy. It's her turn for big girl pants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mollie: Definitely check this series out!

    Liza: Agreed. Nash turned out to be a total douche. I miss the old Nash. But Team Tod forever! And Sabine . . . argh. I hate her.

    Liz: You will be Team Tod by the end of this book.

    Rachel: Thank you. Be sure to check out this book.

    cherrycakes2004: I used to be Team Nash. But now . . . Nash who? I'm forever Team Tod. He is definitely a guy who actually CARES for Kaylee. But yeah, Sabine is just - stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well crap. I have a lot of catching up to do in a short amount of time, because I'm not particularly fond of the reaper paying me a visit.... wait. Is this sexy, swoony Tod a reaper? Cause I may feel the same as you then :P

    I'm ashamed that I have yet to read a single Rachel Vincent book!! What is wrong with me? If I Die sounds so good! Cannot wait to start on thios series with the promise the books get better and better. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brodie he IS a sexy reaper. At least to me. haha. BRODIE HOW CAN YOU NOT HAVE READ A RACHEL VINCENT BOOK! SHOCKING!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Brodie, trust me....once you read this series, you'll be praying that Tod pays you a visit ;) Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true Rachel! We all want a visit from hottie Tod!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...