Sunday, October 9, 2011

Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Point

Pages: 353pgs

The Story

Scarlett Martin has grown up in a most unusal way. Her family owns the Hopewell, a smart Art Deco hotel in the heart of New York City. When each of the Martins turns fifteen, they are expected to take over the care of a suite. For Scarlett's fifteenth birthday, she gets both a room called the Empire Suite and a permanent guest named Mrs. Amberson. Scarlett doesn't quite know what to make of this C-list starlet and world traveler.

And when she meets Eric, an astonishingly gorgeous actor who has just moved to the city, her summer takes a second unexpected turn. Before the summer is over, Scarlett will have to survive a whirlwind of thievery and romantic missteps. But in the city where anything can happen, she might just be able to pull it off.

The Review

I've heard a lot of great reviews for Maureen Johnson's books and when I came across this one at my local library, I immediately picked it up and read it. Now comes the tricky part of the review. Readers should know this book reviewing process: you're either going to get a great story with everything you could possibly like in a book and then there's those other books that will fall flat. For this being my very first Maureen Johnson book, I have to say - sadly - that I wasn't entirely impressed with SUITE SCARLETT. With the book having a feel of Gossip Girl to it, I thought perhaps I could like it . . . but I didn't. I don't know whether it's the storyline that bothered me or the characters themselves.

It's hard giving a review when you weren't entirely invested in the book you're reviewing and that's how I feel for this one. The main problem of the book was the development of the characters. Sure, I liked Scarlett as the main character. She was nice girl but sometimes niceness doesn't cut it, not even to make you like the entire novel. Aside from some character issues of mine, who I did like was the little romance of Eric. Sure he wasn't exactly the 'perfect' love interest that was flawless to the bone, but he definitely added some quality to the book.

Overall I liked the New York setting and I mean who doesn't like New York City for what it is? It's the perfect setting for a book like this one but clearly - a lot like Scarlett's nice character - it wasn't enough to pull me through and enjoy this book. But I did finish it though, which is a good thing I suppose. Will I read the sequel? Probably . . . but then again, probably not. Should you read it? It's entirely up to you. This book has received some mixed reviews so it seems likely that it'll be a 50/50 chance that you'll like it. But I recommend this book to anyone who loves a Gossip Girl feel or anyone who loves a quick but cute-comedy read.

The Rating

2/5 stars

3 comments:

  1. Damn, sucks that your first read of Maureen Johnson wasn't such a stellar one. I've heard greeeat things about her books today, so I'd imagine that was a bit disappointing after the hype. Are you liking Name of the Star better? I'm really enjoying that at the moment!

    Great review though, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I was hoping for big things from Johnson because of all the hype she's been getting. As for Name of the Star . . . it's an okay book. Hasn't really captured my interest yet. So we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the sound of this one! Ever since I first heard the concept I've been wanting to read it. I definitely need to find time to get it from the library.

    divorce papers

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...