Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Eternal by Gillian Shields

Release Date: 2nd August, 2011

Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books

Pages: 368pgs

The Story

This third book about the Mystical Sisterhood at Wyldcliffe Abbey School for Young Ladies is another romantic thriller with paranormal elements and deep mystery. This time our heroine is Sarah Fitzalan, the dependable, faithful friend of Evie and Helen, her sisters in the Mystic Way. But this term Sarah finds that friendship is tested to the limits.

Evie is turning her back on the Mystic Way after the sisterhood laid her beloved Sebastian's soul to rest; Helen is distracted; and the new girl, wild child Velvet Romaine, seems set on stirring up more trouble at Wyldcliffe. Sarah struggles to keep the sisterhood together as the threat of attack from the dark coven looms.

All Sarah has to keep her going is her connection with her earth powers and a promise she cannot break. Must she sacrifice herself for the sake of her friends and sisters? Will her sisters join her, or will help come from unexpected sources, like her Romany ancestors, and a love she'd only just dared hope for?

The Review

I was a big fan of Gillian Shields's Immortal, the first book in this magical young adult series, but I was very, very disappointed in her last installment of Betrayal, which to me proved to be nothing special and slightly repetitive with the same problems produced in the first book. But when I heard the author was to be writing a third book - surprisingly not in Evie's point of view but in her friend Sarah's perspective - I thought I should give this series another chance, to not only fall back in love with the book series but to actually love something new. And to my own surprise, I actually loved this installment.

ETERNAL was a very insightful book and it was one with lot's twists and turns, and I was quite glad to see Evie in a different light. That being through Sarah's eyes. Though I admit, I liked Sarah much better as a main protagonist and I respect her leading the story than how Evie lead us in the first two books. It was a nice change and this time round I was thankful that this book focussed more on the magic side rather than on the romance element, which from the previous books, were a little woeful for my taste. You know with the whole how-am-I-going-to-live-without Sebastian thing? Yeah . . . that. For those who've read the previous two books, you will know what I mean when it comes to the Sebastian situation.

Now, unlike the book's predecessors Immortal and Betrayal, ETERNAL offered a hell of a lot more action, suspense and even elements of great loss and love, and I enjoyed how Shields managed to write deeper into the character's lives, while introducing a few new faces to readers. While the baddies in this book were kind of obvious and a few characters got on my nerves regularly, but it was nonetheless a thrilling tale and a great addition to the Immortal series. And thankfully it happened to be my favourite in the series so far. So judging by the ending, I take it that there's another book coming our way and I'll be looking forward to reading what's up next for Sarah and her friends at the boarding school of Wyldcliffe. I recommend this book to anyone who has already read the first two installments or anyone who loves some magic in their books. Oh by the way, while this book didn't have as much romance as the other two, but do not fear . . . there's a hottie in our mists and for those who've read this book . . . you'll know who I'm talking about! *winks*

The Rating

4/5 stars

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you loved this more than the previous books! And actually liked the switch in protagonist more, also. I have yet read the first two books, but from what you say about Eternal, it sounds like a worthy journey to this book full of action, suspense and magic. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was definitely better than the first two books. Thanks for commenting Brodie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a fascinating series, I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I might have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely check it out. It's worth the read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have the first book in the series but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I haven't heard of this series before, but it sounds coooooool! I'm going to check it out at GR.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to check out the first book. The series soudns great. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I havent heard of this series but I really really want to start reading it soon as im good, I have to add this on my goodreads list. thank you!!! Great review Erin

    x

    ♥Ficbookreviews♥

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...