Thursday, December 15, 2011

Slide by Jill Hathaway


Release Date: 1st March, 2012

Publisher: HarperCollins

Pages: 336pgs

The Story

Vee Bell is certain of one irrefutable truth - her sister's friend Sophie didn't kill herself. She was murdered.

Vee knows this because she was there. Everyone believes Vee is narcoleptic, but she doesn't actually fall asleep during these episodes: When she passes out, she slides into somebody else's mind and experiences the world through that person's eyes. She's slid into her sister as she cheated on the math test, into a teacher sneaking drink before class. She learned the worst about a supposed "friend" when she slid into her during a school dance. But nothing could have prepared Vee for what happens one October night when she slides into the mind of someone holding a bloody knife, standing over Sophie's dead body.

Vee desperately wishes she could share her secret, but who would believe her? It sounds crazy that she can't bring herself to tell her best friend, Rollins, let alone the police. Even if she could confide in Rollins, he has been acting off lately, more distant, especially now that she's been spending more time with Zane.

Enmeshed in a terrifying web of secrets, lies, and danger and with no one to turn to, Vee must find a way to unmask the killer before he or she strikes again.

The Review

A big thanks to HarperCollins on netGalley for accepting my request in reading this book early!

I was super excited to have a chance to read Jill Hathaway's debut book SLIDE which is not due to be released until March 2012. When I first came across her book on goodreads and read the synopsis for it, I knew I would love it. For one, it had a beautiful and eye-capturing cover. And for two, the book reminded me a lot of Veronica Mars meets Kimberly Derting's The Body Finder and with a combination of both these elements - ones I have a profound love of - that's exactly what you get in this novel. However while it was an enjoyable read and it entertained me on certain reading levels, sadly I found myself disappointed.

In the book SLIDE we meet Sylvia aka "Vee", the pink haired girl who has a great taste in 90s music but unlike most teenage girls her age . . . she can slide into people's minds. The term "Slide" meaning when she's "unconscious" she can literally see through another person's eyes and see their surroundings and what they're doing, which can be cool for us but it's rather uncomfortable for her. Especially when Vee begins to see through a killer's eyes. Here's the thing: Vee was a great heroine - that's the honest truth. I might not have been able to relate to her much but she's a girl with a gift that not everyone would want and she handled her 'talents' very well despite her dire circumstances. On a personal level, I struggled with Vee's voice. It wasn't because of her attitude and pink hair (because I'm all for that in girl power and you gotta love pink hair on a girl), but for me there was something missing from her character but it's hard to explain and put into words. So I'll leave it there.

The same struggles came with Vee's best friend, Rollins, who I couldn't warm up to as much as I wanted to. First of all, Rollins was supposed to be the boy best friend and yet he spent hardly any time - if not at all - with Vee and I don't know . . . I was expecting something more from him. Best friends tend to be present when their other best friend is in trouble, but that's a whole other agenda that I won't get into today. As for the new guy Zane (yes there's a new guy and yes that's a really cute name for some reason), I too struggled with his character. Sometimes I questioned his true motives and I often pondered whether I should love/like/hate him or whether I should trust or not trust him. He was a mystery all on his own and a guy I didn't want to know about whatsoever. Readers on the other hand may fall for these two boys and perhaps like them more than I did, but I just wanted a little more development between them and Vee. Other than that, they were characters with a purpose.

Overall SLIDE was a great concept and the author, Jill Hathaway, did a great job with the mystery parts of the book, even though at times it blurred between being awesome and being the book that left you feeling a little cheated. The ending after all was rather disappointing and much like the characters I wanted more of an awing type of ending that you couldn't see coming or left you wanting the sequel as most YA series do. But that's just me being a pushy Nancy Drew gal, hoping for a great big showdown and a mystery that could and would surprise you. If you're curious for a mystery containing a problematic heroine with just enough sass in her, then I highly recommend this book. Especially if you're a fan of The Body Finder series that shares some similiarities.

The Rating
3/5 stars

10 comments:

  1. This does sound like a great concept. Too bad it didn't totally work. I know what you mean when you feel like something is off or lacking but you can't put it into words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I'm not sure what to think of this one. I love the idea but the fact you had trouble connecting to the characters puts me off a little. Still, will probably read this at some point! Thanks for the review :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison: It was a good mystery read but still . . . something was missing.

    Liz: Definitely give it a go. A lot of people will love this book but for me it was missing something. Nonetheless a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! When I heard about this one I thought Veronica Mars + Lisa McMann's WAKE.

    Aw, I'm sad this one wasn't as fabulous as you hoped... I really, REALLY liked it, but you know how sometimes you read the right book at the right time and it resonates, despite any flaws? It was just perfect for me when I read it. SO entertaining and fast-paced and everything else, so I just enjoyed it.

    Even so, as much as I loved it, I totally feel what you about *something* being missing. Just the little bit of something intangeable that would have made it really, really good and memorable.

    Glad you still liked it, if not loved it XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely Sarah! It was still very entertaining and I liked it for a mystery book. But despite this "something" being missing, it was still a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is the first review I've seen for this book! I'm so interested in this book. I loved The Body Finder and this one just sounds so cool. Sorry that you couldn't connect with the characters properly! I'm glad you still somewhat liked it at least :) Great review!

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sonia: I too loved The Body Finder series and if you love that then you'll love this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear there wasn't a connection with the characters for you, I always find that so frustrating (and disappointing) with novels I expect to love. I do like a heroine with some sass though and I like that you recommend it to The Body Finder fans (GAHHH I still need to read Desires of the Dead, though!)

    Also, I think you're becoming the queen of writing those 'iffy' reviews with respect and honesty ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry you didn't like it as much as you thought you would, but I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's annoying when something's missing in a book that you feel has potential. I have this waiting and cannot wait to pick it up! It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brodie: The heroine has a lot of sass. You haven't read Desires of the Dead yet? I'm shocked. haha. Love TBF series! Aw thank you! I don't like writing book reviews that go, "Horrible. What did the publishers think!?" There's a lot of THAT on goodreads. Hate it. It's disrespect to the author and to the publisher. Plus - it's only one persons opinion of the book.

    Rebecca: Enjoy the book when you pick it up! I'm sure it will entertain a lot of readers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...