Tuesday, February 26, 2013

City of a Thousand Dolls by Miriam Forster

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Harper Teen

Pages: 361pgs

The Story

An exotic treat set in an entirely original, fantastical world brimming with deadly mystery, forbidden romance, and heart-stopping adventure.

Nisha was abandoned at the gates of the City of a Thousand Dolls when she was just a child. Now sixteen, she lives on the grounds of the isolated estate, where orphan girls apprentice as musicians, healers, courtesans, and, if the rumors are true, assassins. Nisha makes her way as Matron’s assistant, her closest companions the mysterious cats that trail her shadow. Only when she begins a forbidden flirtation with the city’s handsome young courier does she let herself imagine a life outside the walls. Until one by one, girls around her start to die.

Before she becomes the next victim, Nisha decides to uncover the secrets that surround the girls’ deaths. But by getting involved, Nisha jeopardizes not only her own future in the City of a Thousand Dolls—but her own life.

The Review

Straight up, I will read pretty much any book with girls holding weapons and who are centered between two giant lion statues on a cover. It's a requirement to have on any book cover in order for me to buy it and I will always read those types of books because you've got to admit it looks pretty GOOD. And this book had really interested me (apart from its cover of course) because to me at least, CITY OF A THOUSAND DOLLS was yet another exception to buy as this book looked pretty bad-ass and the story - from what I've read of the blurb and the interviews I've read from the author in how she created this particular story - the whole idea of it all seemed pretty bad-ass all on its own. And it was to a certain extent.

So despite all of the mixed reviews I've read for this book, I thought the book by itself was good but it was also quite different compared to most Asian inspired books and pretty much any other YA fantasy book I've ever read lately. But in a very good sense of course. I mean, the storyline wasn't necessarily how I imagined the story to be like as it lacked something of the epic-sorts and it could have had so much more added onto the storyline itself to make it even better, but I still loved the overall tale it told since it was all about a young girl from a lower caste who is suddenly swept up behind a story of intrigue and deceit, and in a world that is not what it seems. I think a lot of readers, especially of the younger kind, will enjoy this one. It's a simple read with a lot of heart in it.

Nisha, our main heroine, was an inspiring character for me. She was wonderful in the sense that she never allowed herself to sink to the bottom, even when circumstances - no matter how dire they were - could make her out that way. She just continued to fight and believe in herself in every step she took so I can see why many readers really adored her character. I especially loved that she had the ability to talk to cats . . . I mean SHE TALKED TO CATS PEOPLE! Seriously, cats are my favourite animal and I wouldn't mind speaking to my own cat once in a while (though my cat's mind would probably be scary and I don't say that lightly hehe). But I just loved Nisha! On the other hand though, the boy Nisha ends up falling for . . . I didn't really see the point of that romance really . . . it never went anywhere for me nor did I feel connected with it. But what did go somewhere for me was the world Miriam Forster magically created! It was so Harry Potter like as there is different houses going on in this society, and of course, I loved the cats that hanged out with Nisha . . . they were so utterly adorable! Le sigh. Too much cuteness concerning those darn cats!

Overall, CITY OF A THOUSAND DOLLS was an enjoyable read and offered something different to readers. It may not exactly impress those fans of epic, high fantasy and it may not have been the story I wanted it to be like, but I still found it really entertaining on a whole and sets up a great start for a potential YA series. I'm looking forward to reading more of Miriam Forster's work because I really love her writing style!

The Rating
3 1/2 / 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. A world-building that is Harry Potter like? Oh hell yeah! I need to read that. I also love the fact that she can talk to cats, that delivers an original twist to the story :D I am looking forward to read this book despite the mixed reviews I've read. I think I will enjoy this :) Great review!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely set up like the HP world. It was pretty cool in that sense. Thanks Mel!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...