Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Fall by Claire Merle

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Faber

Pages: 358pgs

The Story

Ana has escaped her father and made it to the Enlightenment Project - a secluded sect living on the outskirts of the City. Back in the arms of Cole nothing is simple. Some in the Project believe her presence jeopardises their safety, others interpret her coming as part of their prophetic Writings.

When the recording Ana stole goes viral, the Project comes under attack. Now Ana's father isn't the only one looking for her. She's come to the attention of Evelyn Knight, the Chairman of the Board - a powerful woman with a sinister plan. Ana must take greater risks than ever to unravel the truth and discover the secrets that lie beneath the Pure test. But unlike her father, the Chairman doesn't want her safely home. She wants Ana's spirit crushed, permanently. And she will destroy everyone Ana cares about to do it.

The Review

A big thanks to Allen & Unwin for sending me a review copy of this book!

The first book in series, The Glimpse, was quite an interesting read for me. It may not have been necessarily my favourite book thus far in the dystopian-like genre, but it was still an enjoyable read nonetheless and a book with a very creative concept. But in terms of this sequel, while I still may have liked the first book a lot more than this one right here, but in a sense of continuing the storyline and developing further with the characters and all of that, I thought it was a great sequel in that aspect and I'm definitely interested in reading more from this author as well, even though I disappointed to find out that this series is only a duo-logy which I don't see very often as most things nowadays are trilogies. Ah well, it was still a good book.

I think what I enjoyed most in this particular sequel was just learning about what happens after the events of the first book, The Glimpse, and also getting to see how the main character, Ana, grows into her own strength and how she builds on that strength, especially since she has been through quite a lot over these two books and I think the author did her justice in this book since I actually came to like her more in this book, so I'm glad for that. In terms of the ending though, I'm not entirely sure how I felt about that ending . . . it felt a little incomplete for me but that's just me being picky as a reader. But again, I just wanted something more from that ending but it doesn't matter because the book offered many other great things this time round and it had better fast-pacing also, which I was looking for originally from the first book so it delivered on that part.

Overall, I thought THE FALL has a lot going for it and it will appeal a lot to readers, and I think many readers of the Delirium series by Lauren Oliver especially will definitely enjoy this book as it has the same vibe about it. There's action and plenty of romance to satisfy readers, so if you love one of those two things then you'll love this series without a doubt!

The Rating
3/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...