Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Promise of Amazing by Robin Constantine

Release Date: 31st December, 2013

Publisher: Balzer + Bray

Pages: 320pgs

The Story

Wren Caswell is average. Ranked in the middle of her class at Sacred Heart, she’s not popular, but not a social misfit. Wren is the quiet, “good” girl who's always done what she's supposed to—only now in her junior year, this passive strategy is backfiring. She wants to change, but doesn’t know how.

Grayson Barrett was the king of St. Gabe’s. Star of the lacrosse team, top of his class, on a fast track to a brilliant future—until he was expelled for being a “term paper pimp.” Now Gray is in a downward spiral and needs to change, but doesn’t know how. 

One fateful night their paths cross when Wren, working at her family’s Arthurian-themed catering hall, performs the Heimlich on Gray as he chokes on a cocktail weenie, saving his life literally and figuratively. What follows is the complicated, awkward, hilarious, and tender tale of two teens shedding their pasts, figuring out who they are—and falling in love.

The Review

A big thanks to the publisher for sending me a review copy of this book!

The promise of amazing? I sure hoped it would be so because the book sounded right up my alley and I was looking for another great contemporary YA book. But unfortunately for me, this book was anything but amazing.

While I tried to like this book, but what fell flat for me was the fact that insta-love came into play (like straightaway) between our two main characters, Wren and Grayson. Now I know some people don't mind insta-love because they believe in it and such, but for me I'm left shaking my head and just not understanding it at all, especially when characters are the total opposites to each other. But in any case, I don't like insta-love and it turns me off with a book. Also another thing that fell flat for me was the main characters out of everything else. I don't know why they bugged me so much because I tried so hard to like at least one of them, but every time I read about Wren and Grayson they just didn't seem like real people to me and I couldn't connect to them because of that. It's a mystery to me . . . but I just couldn't connect and that I guess what my major problem for not liking this book. Yeah . . . Wren and Grayson . . . I didn't like them at all I'm afraid.

Overall, THE PROMISE OF AMAZING was not so amazing as I thought, but despite what I thought of it, if you like contemporary books as much as I do, I think you will not mind this book all so much, but for me it just wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be . . . unfortunately.

The Rating
1/5 stars

2 comments:

  1. oh you didn't like it.....and i'd say insta-love is one of my pet-peeves too, so i can definitely understand why you may not have liked this book.

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I just don't like insta-love. I don't mind if it comes along midway through the book, but in the beginning it just doesn't work for me. :/

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...