Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Unbreakable by Elizabeth Norris

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: HarperCollins

Pages: 416pgs

The Story

Four months after Ben disappeared through the portal to his home universe, Janelle believes she’ll never see him again. Her world is still devastated, but civilisation is slowly rebuilding, and life is finally starting to resume some kind of normality. Until Interverse agent Taylor Barclay shows up. He’s got a problem, and he needs Janelle’s help. Somebody from an alternate universe is running a human trafficking ring – kidnapping people and selling them on different Earths. And Ben, with his unique abilities, is the prime suspect. To make things worse, Janelle learns that someone she cares about – someone from her own world – has become one of the missing.

Now Janelle has five days to track down the real culprit. Five days to locate the missing people before they’re lost forever. Five days to reunite with the boy who stole her heart. Can she uncover the truth before everyone she cares about is killed?

The Review

To be honest with you, this book was even more disappointing than the first book, Unraveling. While I did enjoy the mystery side of things that the author wrote and seeing the main character, Janelle, become a (mostly) stronger heroine in this sequel, however what let this book down majorly was how everything played out in the end and of course who cannot forgot Janelle's love interest, Ben, who was an absolute ass in this book and well . . . I can't exactly swear in this book review but let's just say I have a ton to say about him in my head and we'll leave it at that.

Now when it comes to UNBREAKABLE's story, I think for the most part it definitely had a very different feel compared to the first book in the series and dealt with much more serious topics as well. So while that's great and all, and while I do typically feel drawn to darker elements in a book which this book definitely had, but for this particular installment it 'sort of' did and didn't work out for me. Not like the story was terrible or anything like that, but for some reason I felt like after reading this book it was almost as if I was reading a completely different book series and not one of Unraveling if you get my meaning. And, if it was my guess, this 'feeling' had EVERYTHING to do with the characters who I liked from the first book, but now . . . the are complete strangers to me, more so with Janelle's love interest, Ben.

So my oh my. Ben. I mean, seriously? What the hell happened to our Ben in this book? I have no idea really but I have to mention that Ben was my favourite part of the first book, Unraveling, and I was very much looking forward to reading more about him in this sequel too. But unfortunately for me and my high expectations, Ben - like most of the other characters in this book - soon became a stranger to me and was a completely different person and has now become my least favourite character of all. I just don't understand what happened except that Ben made so many mistakes in this book (SO MANY!) and one of those mistakes was so damn right shocking to me that I can't even believe this was the same Ben we met in the first book. Le sigh. What happened, Ben? Gosh. You idiot. Also, talk about that ending . . . oh Janelle . . . just when I thought you rocked my world . . . you did the stupidest thing of all in forgiving Ben for a certain 'something' that happened in the book and for readers you will know exactly what I mean when you read this book . . . I mean what Ben did . . . it's just unforgivable really but hey . . . guess not all girls can learn, can they?

Overall, UNBREAKABLE was a disappointment. While I do give the author props for the mystery and how everything yet again 'unraveled' towards the ending, but with Ben being a jerk and all and turning into my least favourite character at the end, well . . . my rating kind of shrank to close to nothing which was the major disappointment of all in my books because I thought this book had lot's of potential.

The Rating
2/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...