Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Foretold by Jana Oliver

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Macmillan

Pages: 416pgs

The Story

Stand by as Riley prepares to kick some serious demon butt for the last time in this thrilling, dramatic and sexy conclusion to The Demon Trappers series.

Riley's always known that Beck had a chequered history, but she's not prepared for what it actually means to be in love with a guy with this many dark secrets. now that he's finally admitted to himself that he's in love with her too, there's no more hiding the truth about his past. And as it turns out, fending off a demon apocalypse is nothing compared to what's to come . . .

The Review

A big thanks to Pan Macmillan for sending me a review copy of this book!

The fourth and final installment of the Demon Trappers series, FORETOLD, has made me both giddy, anxious, excited, and happy, but it has also made me very sad too. Like with any of your favourite book series - young adult or not - it is quite sad to say goodbye to so many books that have entertained you in the past few years and where you must salute your favourite characters who have kindly shared a little bit of something from their fictional lives and passed their tales onto you. It's something truly special for readers. In this case, I thought Jana Oliver did a splendid job in ending this series and while some events in the book were unexpected at first and while it may have been a really bumpy road for our heroes and heroines in this series, but it was needless to say an absolute pleasure in reading this series and I'm pretty glad the way everything was concluded . . . you know in the way it should have been.

FORETOLD brings out everything we know about our characters and the story itself out into the open, and nothing - absolutely nothing - can be hidden anymore from the readers which will be a treat for you and me both. It certainly was for me! Now unlike the previous three books in the series, this last installment primarily focuses on the relationship shared between Riley, our main character, and her awesome love interest, Beck, where Riley herself must dive into her lover's past even when she has a crisis of her own: Demons. And you know what demons can create for Demon Trappers like Riley . . . trouble, trouble and more trouble!

Our main heroine, Riley, has always been a favourite character of mine despite her great number of flaws from the past, ones that made her even more human to me. Riley, a strong and semi-confident young woman, has gone through to Hell and back to seek revenge for her father's death, and while she may have made a mistake with a certain boy from the previous book (if you've read this series you will know what I'm talking about here), but there's one thing she cares about the most throughout the course of this series and that is the Southern Backwoods Boy himself . . . Beck. Ever since her father passed away, there has been no one else more important in her life than Beck, someone she has now come to love more than an older brother, and even though they still have a lot of things to sort out, but considering this is the last book in the series I can definitely assure you that everything will be sorted out in the right way!

As for Beck, he too was a favourite character mine and it's about time he stole the spotlight away from the seriously kick-ass Riley, and the spotlight was something he definitely got in this final book. Despite his shady past and some things he says without really thinking about, I consider Beck as an all-round good guy, especially when it comes to his protective nature of those closest to him and it was an absolute delight to uncover those hidden layers underneath Beck's personality - the most tender and sensitive sides that we don't get to see all too often - and after we finally get his backstory, one that will make you question him entirely, man . . . this guy has a lot of heart. Gah! All my emotions, people! Now apart from Riley, Beck has probably grown the most throughout this series and while he may be a very complicated character, but he still had a lot to learn and by the time you finish this book you will finally get to understand Beck (all of him), and have plenty of time to swoon over him as well. I certainly swooned many, many times where I almost lost count. Gosh, I just love him AND Riley to bits! Together or not, they are both just so darn cute!

Overall, Jana Oliver has written such a bittersweet ending for the Demon Trappers series and FORETOLD is by far my favourite of all four installments. Left with happy smile on my face (one that may look too psycho for you to understand until you actually read this marvelous book), I can say as a fan of this series that you will not be disappointed and I would highly recommend this series for those who have yet to pick this series up! Oh Beck and Riley . . . gosh I love you two!

The Rating
5/5 stars

8 comments:

  1. I completely with what you've said! This was such a bittersweet read, I loved it but it's so sad that the series is over. I'll definitely miss Beck and Riley. <3

    Great review. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely going to miss Beck's character . . . oh boy did I have such a soft spot for him.

      Thank you. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad that the final instalment lived up to your expectations, Erin! :) Argh, I really want to go back and give this series another try now! The way you make Riley and Beck sound... I couldn't get into the first one and ended up DNF'ing it but maybe I'll give it another shot someday. Great review, Erin. Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I thought the first book was just an 'okay' read but once I got to the other books in the series . . . everything got so much better not to mention really, really interesting so I hope you give this series another shot!

      Anyway thanks Sonia! Merry Christmas to you too!

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean! I recently finished the Matched trilogy by Ally Condie and even though I have never been that big of a fan of that series, I still felt quite sad at the end knowing that it was now all over... No more adventures for the characters! :(

    I've not heard much about this series but since you speak so highly of it, maybe I should find out more! I'm glad to hear everything is well rounded up and the main characters develop throughout the series - no character development is a big no, no for me! And, of course, I love a kick-ass heroine and a swoony love interest! ;D

    Great review! xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I finished that series not too long ago and it's still sad that there's no more books, even though I wasn't a huge fan of the series to begin with.

      Anyway definitely check this book series out. It's totally worth the read. Thanks Rachel!

      Delete
  4. I picked up the first book of the Demon Trapper series, and while I didn't love it, I can definitely say that it was entertaining while I was reading it. Your enthusiasm for this series, however, has me convinced that I must pick up the second book!

    I skimmed through your review, for fear of any spoilers, but it does seem like Riley grows a ton throughout the series, and I always love seeing how characters change during a series. It's so great to see them grow stronger! Even just in the first book, she goes through so much, so I think it's going to be interesting to see what more she has to go through during this series.

    I'm glad that this series left you with a smile on your face, Erin. Usually when I finish a series, I'm pretty sad, because I know there's nothing coming next. But, I always love a satisfying ending as well, and it seems that the ending for this series was definitely satisfying. =)

    Fantastic review Erin! The next time I swing by the library, I will definitely be picking up the sequel in hopes that I'll enjoy it more than the first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book series has this rare charm about it, even though some parts of the book you might end up going 'eh'. Still, Riley was such a great character to read about and she has matured so much so I was pretty happy about that.

      And yes it's really sad once a book series ends . . . you feel kind of lost without it. But thank you! Definitely pick up the sequel when you get a chance to. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...