Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Savage Grace by Bree Despain

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Egmont

Pages: 488pgs

The Story

Wrestling with the werewolf curse pulsing deep inside of her, Grace Divine was finally able to find her brother, but it nearly cost her everything.

With her boyfriend, Daniel, stuck in wolf form and Sirhan's death approaching, time is running out for Grace to stop Caleb Kalbi and his gang of demons. If she fails, her family and hometown will perish. Everything rests on Grace's shoulders.

The final installment in The Dark Divine trilogy brings Daniel and Grace's love story to a breathtaking conclusion.

The Review

As most of you should already be aware of by now, I've been a huge fan of this series since the first book had came out a few years ago and I was extremely excited to get my hands on the final installment of this YA series, especially since I've grown so attached to the characters, to the storyline, and to the overall world Bree Despain has managed to successfully create. But most importantly, I wanted to read this last book because I was SO eager to find out how everything would be concluded for these favourite characters of mine, especially since the previous sequel offered up a pretty shocking ending for everyone with myself included!

THE SAVAGE GRACE is the third and final book of The Dark Divine trilogy with the werewolf genre at its very best. With her beloved Daniel still stuck as a wolf, the main heroine, Grace, continues battling her own inner demons - the wolf herself - that has always been inside of her. As she's desperately trying to fight with everything she's got against the evils of her own town and her own wolf, she's also trying to find a cure or find some way to turn Daniel back into his original human form. But as the inner wolf begins to test her in so many ways she cannot even imagine, Grace will need to put all of her energies and strength into this deadly and dangerous final battle in order to save Daniel, her family and friends, not to mention herself . . . before it's all goes to hell . . . literally.

Much like with the rest of this series, THE SAVAGE GRACE does a splendid job in weaving a tale with religion, action, romance, and some desperate struggles between the rights and wrongs of the world - only with a great supernatural twist added onto it. While the first book, The Dark Divine, remains to be my favourite book in the entire series but a lot of things were really improved with this third book compared to its sequel, The Lost Saint, which I struggled a little bit with from last year. But for some reason, there was just . . . more happening in this storyline and there was more romance which this series really needed to amp up the finale of this YA series. So I was truly grateful for that element alone!

However, what amazed me more this time round was Grace as our leading lady. From the first two books she was unsure of herself and her own capabilities of being 'the strong one' for the rest of the characters, but everything soon changed for her character in this final book and she finally allowed herself to shine in moving forward and putting those self-doubts behind her. Grace, after all, has come a very long way from book one. Firstly, she had to deal with being the perfect role model of her perfect religious family and for her perfect father. And secondly, she also had to deal with her life crashing down before her eyes when her brother, Jude, falls into the clutches of the wolf and where she had soon found herself falling in love with boy with a deadly curse. And to top it all off, Grace had to fight her own inner wolf and try to not lose herself like her boyfriend did once . . . which is easier said than done. But despite those complications, Grace had more control over her life and her goals so she gets the total thumbs up from me!

Now onto Daniel, Grace's wolf-boy main love interest. I've always loved Daniel from the get go and while he did have his own ups and downs character-wise, but much like with Grace's character he too had also gained himself back to being the good old Daniel that we had fallen in love with so years ago, and it only made the story THAT much more interesting to be honest. Even the supportive character Talbot, someone who I didn't mind in the previous sequel, was loved by me though it was pretty obvious what was going to happen to him . . . but regardless of that and regardless of the predictability of certain elements of the storyline, it was so much better than the sequel. So much better! Even the ending was a great conclusion. Sure the ending wasn't exactly happily ever after for everyone, but it was enough to say, "Hey, I can make up my own mind about what happens in the end and we'll leave it at that." Yeah . . . that ending . . . it was cute. Very, very cute.

Overall, THE SAVAGE GRACE was a great conclusion to a YA trilogy and while it had its loves and hates about it, but I didn't care whatsoever. With the story having everything you could possibly want in a finale book - action, romance, evilness and some grand entertainment that goes in all sorts of directions for its reader to be left in awe - it's fair to say that fans of this series will absolutely LOVE this book, if not more than the previous sequel!

The Rating
4 1/2 / 5 stars

6 comments:

  1. Ahhh I NEED to read this! Can't believe I haven't read The Dark Divine yet...I swear I was killing myself trying to find a copy of it 2 years ago at Borders! I'm so glad this was a fantastic conclusion to this exciting trilogy :D Awesome review Erin!<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *shakes head* Shirley you seriously need to find a copy of it soon! Gosh I miss Borders . . . but damn you need to read it asap! Such a great series! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. It's great to hear Grace has come a long way since the first book. I'm not sure that I've read this series (you'd think I could keep track LOL!) but I know I have the first book somewhere on my shelf so I will have to see if I can start one day. Brilliant review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! Definitely start this series. So worth it! :)

      Delete
  3. I loved this series too, but it's been so long since I read the first two I'd have a hard time remembering some of the details. So thrilled to hear this surpassed the 2nd book, because I didn't like it as well as the first one. Excellent review Erin. You've encouraged me to finish this series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh Erin! Why has it taken me so long to read this? I actually remember loving The Lost Saint, so if you feel this was MUCH better than the sequel... I definitely think I'm going to enjoy this! You just made me remember the cliffhanger TLS left us on too.... argh. But the promise of a 'cute' ending gives me hope!

    I haven't been overly impressed with how series of books have concluded lately, so I'm really glad you say this lives up to expectations. Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...