Thursday, December 27, 2012

Slammed by Colleen Hoover


Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Pages: 352pgs

The Story

Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.

Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.

Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart. 

The Review

A big thanks to Simon & Schuster for sending me a copy of this book!

I'll be honest with you here and say I haven't even heard of this book before . . . that is until I won a copy of it from the publisher. So despite it's not-so-standout-ish cover and not hearing too much about it, I was still compelled to read this book, even though I wasn't exactly sure what it was about nor was I sure about what to expect from a book such as this one. But since I have a slight fondness for 'some' kinds poetry and of the New Adult genre craze that is taking the book world by storm, I have to say I'm so glad to have come across the opportunity to read such a brilliant book like SLAMMED because that is exactly what it was . . . BRILLIANT!

SLAMMED is about a young eighteen-year-old girl named Layken (a very cool and unique name mind you) who moves to Michigan with her mother and her much younger brother as her father had just died. But upon moving to a new town, a new house and an entirely new school, across the street from her she then meets a very young and attractive young man and a charming neighbour, Will, who catches her eye within a moment of meeting him. So when both of their younger brothers - Layken and Will's younger brothers - become instant best friends and whom happen to live across the street from each other, it almost seems too good to be true for these two younger teens and indeed it is: Will, even after taking Layken out on a 'small date', happens to be Layken's . . . well I will let you find out more about what this small and shocking 'secret' but let's just say it becomes really complicated for the two of them and it's such a delight to read about.

Honestly this book and I are meant for each other. I just loved everything it had to offer to me, from Layken's love for her brother to her love and struggle over Will, it all was beyond brilliant and delivered in the best way an author knows how to! I mean just when you think everything is going smoothly and great for everyone, the authors literally 'slams' you with another shocking revelation after another until the point of 'I can't handle this anymore...' comes your way! And when you add some interesting poetry into the mix of it all, it was needless to say something I couldn't stop praising about, so please go read it now!

Overall, SLAMMED was a very surprising read and deserves every single bit of praise it has been receiving lately. Both addictive, compelling and simply lovable in this New Adult contemporary read, I have to say this book is so original and it never lacked in anything, so I would highly recommend this book to you all as it's something that is not meant to be missed out on!

The Rating
5/5 stars

7 comments:

  1. Ahhhh didn't you love it??? My sister had actually bought the ebook for her nook because it was super cheap and had great reviews. I'm so happy I read it after her because it was so awesome! I'm super excited to read her other books once I can get my hands on them! Great review :)

    -Jessica (Peace Love Books)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I totally loved it too!!! The sequel is even better. :)

      Delete
  2. Yay! Another person who loved Slammed. I picked this one up on a whim and absolutely loved this book. I practically devoured this in one sitting. I can't wait to read more of Hoover's novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read this in one sitting too . . . it was just so addictive!

      Delete
  3. I've heard so many awesome things about this book. I have a copy and really need to get to it soon! I recently bought Hoover's new book Hopeless and I've been hearing all kinds of amazing things about that one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get it asap! hehe. I've been meaning to buy Hopeless over the last few weeks. Will definitely have to do that soon.

      Delete
  4. AHH I NEED TO READ THIS ONE NOW. I have a review copy, so I have no idea why I haven't picked it up yet!! The romance sounds absolutely beautiful, and I love it when younger siblings join the story. I can't wait to see how the poetry weaves into the story. I'm so glad you LOVED this one! Fantastic review, Erin!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...