Saturday, January 12, 2013

Because It Is My Blood by Gabrielle Zevin

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux

Pages: 350pgs

The Story

Since her release from Liberty Children's Facility, Anya Balanchine is determined to follow the straight and narrow. Unfortunately, her criminal record is making it hard for her to do that. No high school wants her with a gun possession charge on her rap sheet. Plus, all the people in her life have moved on: Natty has skipped two grades at Holy Trinity, Scarlet and Gable seem closer than ever, and even Win is in a new relationship.But when old friends return demanding that certain debts be paid, Anya is thrown right back into the criminal world that she had been determined to escape. It’s a journey that will take her across the ocean and straight into the heart of the birthplace of chocolate where her resolve--and her heart--will be tested as never before.

The Review

I really enjoyed reading the first installment of the Birthright series, All These Things I've Done, but I wouldn't go and say it impressed me like how so many others were with the book. Although, after reading this sequel, I can now eat those words up because the sequel is so much better - both in writing style and in its character development. BECAUSE IT IS MY BLOOD brings our main character, Anya Balanchine, back again into our lives and it continues the story shortly after where the first book had ended. Serving out her prison sentence at Liberty, Anya is soon released and is able to return home to her family, and try to get back the life she had in the past. But with many dangers ahead of her and what with the in-the-family mafia very hot on her trail, Anya will have to make or break some friendships - even love - in order to fight for herself and for her own family alone. No matter the cost.

Deep down I think I have always loved Anya as a main heroine. She's always fighting for the cause, protecting her family and friends, but she's also just a troubled teen looking for a way to get out of the family business, and you know . . . try to live out a normal life as much as possible. For the majority of this book I couldn't help but feel sorry for our Anya - she could never catch a break. But as we view Anya's inner conflict and as she develops into a much more well-rounded character, those who didn't quite like her as a character in the first book will soon change their minds about her because she was truly great in this next second installment . . . truly great indeed. I kind of wished I had her strength and possess her very kick-ass ways of life!

I think the main reason why I adored this sequel compared to the first book was because of the story it told to me. Simple as that . . . it was a much stronger one. BECAUSE IT IS MY BLOOD explores a much more darker side of a world that is full of politics, justice, crime and dangerous relationships, and all of those elements I mentioned can make a big change to someone's lives and affect them badly too. It was needless to say a brilliant concept in this sequel and one I had very much enjoyed. But another big change I saw in this particular sequel was the bigger twists and turns the author wrote into the storyline. There was honestly never a dull moment when it came to this book. I mean, for one moment you think everything is going right for Anya (for once in her life) and yet the next thing you know she's going through hell all over again . . . just wow . . . I'm pretty impressed.

Overall, BECAUSE IT IS MY BLOOD offers up a very exciting and non-stop action/dystopian thriller that I'm sure will impress many other readers and not just myself. With many unexpected events, forbidden romances, high tension drama, and plenty of mafia kicks to get you invested in the storyline, I would highly recommend this sequel to everyone! So go and check it out now asap!

The Rating
4 1/2 / 5 stars

12 comments:

  1. I really liked All These Things I've Done, but I had no idea there was a sequel! I really really want to read it now, since you liked it so much! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Taylor! I liked this book so much better than the first so I think you will like this one as well. :)

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this so much too! And I agree with you that this one is darker than the first. I love this better! I cant wait for the third book to come!
    Great review Erin x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lalaine! I can't wait for the third book too. I hope it's just as awesome as this book was and darker.

      Delete
    2. When is the third book coming out?

      Delete
  3. I'm surprised to hear that you enjoyed this one more! I loved the first book and was unsure about what I was in for with BIIMB.. So you've elevated my worry ;) Look forward to reading this! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised myself since I wasn't a huge fan of the first book. So I hope you enjoy this sequel. Thanks Lisa!

      Delete
  4. Well, it's always surprising when a sequel is better than the first book! I have book one, so I'll be sure to read this soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised too. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one.

      Delete
  5. I'm waiting until the paperback is released because I have my Gabrielle Zevin in the back of it, and because of that I haven't read BIIMB yet which is SAAAAAD! Glad you enjoyed it so much more than ATTID, which means I'll love it so much more too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sad. Well, I hope you enjoy this book even more than I did. I'm sure you will because this book was pretty kick-ass.

      Delete
  6. I was hesitant to read this book because the first book was so good that I didn't think a second book could match it. Was I wrong! This book was amazing, every bit as good if not better. I couldn't put it down and finished it in one afternoon, the day I got it. I love Anya and Win and I really hope there are more books to come with these two.

    regards,
    charmaine of Kansas Pheasant Hunting

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...