Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Little Brown Books

Pages: 517pgs

The Story

Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love 

and dared to imagine a world free of bloodshed and war.

This is not that world.

Art student and monster's apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought. She knows who she is—and what she is. But with this knowledge comes another truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it.

In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices, Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life.

While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption. For hope.

But can any hope be salvaged from the ashes of their broken dream?

The Review

Laini Taylor has done some pretty amazing things with her books. So when it came to her first book in her new YA series, Daughter of Smoke & Bone, it was the type of book that was set up as some sort of a mirage to its worshipers, a total masterpiece of work with crazy-beautiful storytelling, greatly detailed mythology, and with some pretty engaging, and imaginative characters, ones I just couldn't get enough of nor let go of. So with her second installment, DAYS OF BLOOD & STARLIGHT, I was so geared up into reading the second book after hearing so many amazing things about it and even though the author still does splendid things with her newest book release, but unfortunately I wasn't as amazed with it as I had been with the first book as sad as it is to admit it to you all.

I don't want to get into the storyline too much, but I will say the plot itself headed in a direction I wasn't expecting at all. It was a good thing and a bad thing. I mean, I totally loved certain parts of the book, but there were other things too that didn't quite capture my attention as the first book did non-stop two years ago. So if I had to point it all out - the things that probably impacted my overall opinion and rating of the book, it would have to be my problems with the pacing, the stories it told, the lack of romance and how confusing some of the events came to be, but again I won't get into detail of all that except that this sequel still turned out to be a great one despite a  couple of things here and there. It was enjoyable and that's all I really need, right?

Overall, DAYS OF BLOOD & STARLIGHT was another great book coming from the very talented author, Laini Taylor, and despite it not being my favourite book as of yet in the series but I'm still eagerly anticipating the third book  installment considering how this book ended.

The Rating
4/5 stars

11 comments:

  1. I don't think I've read a single negative review for Lani Taylor's novels. I'm dying to start this series, and your persuasive review has made me want these books even more! And those front covers are beyond gorgeous! I would be proud to display them on my bookshelf. :)

    I hope you enjoy the third book from Lani just as much as you enjoyed its prequels!

    Thank you for sharing your wonderful, beautifully written review with us, Erin! :D

    By the way, your header is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read many negative reviews either, which is a good thing. The covers are gorgeous, aren't they?

      I hope the third book is enjoyable for me too. Thanks Jessica! :)

      Delete
  2. It's nice to see a more balanced review of this because I am a bit nervous to start the series after seeing all the 5 star, rave reviews! It's good that you enjoyed it but perhaps all the hype did this book a disservice. Great review, Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The first book was WONDERFUL but this one was a so-so kind of book. I hope the third book brings back the love I have for this series.

      Delete
  3. "Daughter of Smoke & Bone, it was the type of book that was set up as some sort of a mirage to its worshipers, a total masterpiece of work with crazy-beautiful storytelling, greatly detailed mythology." ERIN! YES YES YES. And I was TOTALLY one of those worshippers :P

    I get what you mean. I DID love this book, but now quite as much as Daughter. I missed the romance, but I thought Laini did a wonderful job at showing the pain and the war and the consequences? It's a VERY different book. And yes, the new direction is good AND bad. TOTALLY get what you mean. Like Mandee said: it's lovely seeing a balanced review! I know I have this tendency to go all superfan and overlook anything that might not be perfect ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a very different book and like you I totally missed the romance. Still, despite the ups and downs I can't wait for the third book. Hope it blows me away like the first book did.

      Thanks Sarah!

      Delete
  4. Awwwww....I've read a lot about how Akiva and Karou spend most of their time apart, so I guess this book is lacking in the romance department? This is such a thick book and I feel intimidated just looking at it :/ I really hope I'll be able to read it soon...I mean, EVERYONE loved this instalment! I'm so glad you enjoyed this Erin!<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It lacked in the romance department for sure . . . which I missed considering I LOVE Akiva and Karou so much. Still, everyone else loved this book and you will too. Thanks Shirley!

      Delete
  5. I am intrigued by the different direction this book goes in...very intrigued. Bit disappointed in the lack of romance, but it's understandable after what happened. Glad you enjoyed it, looking forward to read this book so much! Fab review :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been reading this one for months now. I was the same with book 1. So glad you enjoyed it. Fab review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this series on my TBR/wish list. Great review. Now I'm really finding. I haven't even read Daughter of Smoke and Bone yet.
    I''l have to kick my butt into gear and gt my hands on both books.

    Maycee Greene (One Way Link Building Service)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...