Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Stone Demon by Karen Mahoney

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Flux

Pages: 336pgs

The Story

After being tricked into opening the doorway to the Demon Realm by Aliette, the Wood Queen, Donna Underwood is faced with a terrible ultimatum from the newly released demon hordes. They demand that the alchemists deliver the Philosopher's Stone, or their reaper storm will plunge the world into a devastating modern-day Dark Age.

Donna is sent to London, England, where she must complete her alchemist's training and learn how to recreate the Stone. But time is running out. Between facing the vengeful demon king, Demian, and collecting the Stone's elements, Donna realizes she must give her own life in order to succeed. And this time, even braving death may not be enough to save the world.

The Review

A big thanks to the publisher on netGalley for accepting my request in reading this book early!

After loving the first book The Iron Witch and unfortunately not loving the sequel The Wood Queen as much as that first beloved book, I didn't particularly have any high hopes for this final book of the trilogy and I'm really glad I didn't set myself up for that because this book didn't do much for me. While entertaining in certain sections of the book along with some interesting mythologies and some interesting - and perhaps funny - dialogue exchanged between some of my favourite characters, but as far as the plot goes and as far as the ending went for all of the characters involved . . . unfortunately this book was a major disappointment and I'll only say lightly.

I think what had really affected my opinion of the book overall was the ending itself. It didn't feel like . . . well . . it didn't feel like anything really. I mean, I felt a bit cheated to be honest with you, especially from what I've read and what all of the characters have all been through to get to that final part of the book, however I do understand why the author did what she did but . . . it still left me disappointed. Sadly. Although the parts that I did enjoy was getting to know the main character's love interest, Xan, a bit more and learning more about his past and how he came to be the awesome Xan. But that part only went so far for me as well and as much as I hate to say this but . . . that's pretty much the only great thing about this book. *bows head down* Sorry to the author but it just wasn't my kind of book, even if I loved the first book so, so much.

Overall, don't let my review stop you in reading this final book because there are still some very entertaining things inside this book and there are several opinions that I've read that do not necessarily follow my own. So if you have already read the first two books, then I'm sure many of you will enjoy THE STONE DEMON regardless of this review as many fans of this series loved this book too, so please go and check it out to find out for yourselves!

The Rating
1/5 stars

8 comments:

  1. I never continued with this series after The Iron Witch. I was really excited to read it, but I just couldn't get into it and didn't enjoy it. It's a shame that the series has gone downhill for you since you liked the first one. Sorry the last book was disappointing! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! Yeah . . . it was very disappointing because the first book was SO GOOD and yet . . . the sequels just couldn't measure up.

      Delete
  2. OMGAWDDDD THAT COVER! I LOVE IT!!
    Okay, cover aside, I'm sorry this was so disappointing! I never paid much attention to this series before, but now..I think I'll pass this up. Thanks for the honest review Erin<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no!! I have yet to start this series I love her new vampire book "Moth" though. Maybe I'll like these........

    Sucks you didn't like it. Fab honest review though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same way as you. Loved book one, less impressed by book 2. Xan tho <3 Hopefully I won't hate book 3 too much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt the same way as you. Loved book one, less impressed by book 2. Xan tho <3 Hopefully won't hate book 3 too much!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...