Thursday, January 10, 2013

Burn for Burn by Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Pages: 368pgs

The Story

BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY . . .

THEY GET EVEN.

Lillia has never had any problems dealing with boys who like her. Not until this summer, when one went too far. No way will she let the same thing happen to her little sister.

Kat is tired of the rumours, the insults, the cruel jokes. It all goes back to one person– her ex-best friend– and she's ready to make her pay.

Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she's not the same girl anymore. And she's ready to prove it to him.

Three very different girls who want the same thing: sweet, sweet revenge. And they won't stop until they each had a taste.

The Review

Having practically adored Jenny Han's Summer trilogy and having not read any of Siobhan Vivian's work before, I just knew there was something interesting, special, and terribly wicked about their co-authored YA series, BURN FOR BURN, as it reminded me of the TV show Revenge which is a secret pleasure for me when it comes to making wrongs into a right again. So like with most of my book taste instincts being correct, I was right yet again when it came to this book because this book was so devilishly good! And while no one should seek revenge for whatever reason - whether it is to hurt someone for hurting others you care most about or with someone betraying all of your trust - we all know in the end that revenge has its consequences but boy . . . it was still just so good, GOOD!

BURN FOR BURN, the first installment of a YA trilogy, revolves around three girl's perspectives: Lillia, Kat, and Mary. At first I found it quite hard to connect with all three of these girls, at least towards the beginning of it all, but once each of their own stories is slowly being revealed bit by bit and once we get to connect to them on an emotional and personal level, the book soon ends up becoming such a compelling read for me and and I was pretty much glued to the hip with these three girls with each one being so different to one another.

For Lillia's character, she was a tricky character to like but she was the most honest one of the three. I mean, she always questioned the girl's revenge quests - even her own actions too - and she also had a good head on her shoulders to ask herself that maybe revenge was not the right answer for things . . . so yeah, I really liked her for that. As for Mary, she was probably the hardest character to like and yet once I knew her story . . . I connected with her straightaway because her past was pretty dawn awful. I think she had more reasons than anybody else to seek out revenge to be honest with you. And as for the young Kat - the sassy, sarcastic, kick-ass chick who takes no crap from nobody - she was someone I loved from the get-go. Despite her stronger exterior she had also shown plenty of vulnerability to her and for that I loved her even more. Sure, she was the wildest one out of the three girls and was the one wanting the revenge more than Lillia or Mary ever did, but I didn't care . . . I LOVED her to bits!

On another side note, while all three girls have good reasons for wanting revenge on those who did them wrong in the past, but revenge within itself must not be encouraged to younger teens who read this book because it really does nothing in the end. . . wait - what am I talking about? It's revenge! I love it! Mwhaha. No, seriously . . . I loved the revenge featured in this book, even when it seemed the girls were going too far for their own good. But in the end, whether revenge is good for the soul or not, I just couldn't help but continue in reading this book just find out whether justice was going to be served or that karma was going to lash out on the three girls instead . . . so if you want to find out more then I seriously recommend picking up a copy of this book soon! It's just so good!

Overall, BURN FOR BURN was a revenge story with a slight supernatural twist to it and I loved every single bittersweet moment of it. Even when the revenge the girls committed was not something that was handled very well, especially when you consider how things turned out by the end of the book, but despite those little things this book was simply addictive and I will be now patiently waiting for the sequel, Fire with Fire, which is coming out later this year!

The Rating
4 1/2 / 5 stars

6 comments:

  1. I've been waiting to see a review of this, I really wasn't sure what to think. Your review was great, I love the enthusiasm. I'll be keeping an eye out for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book really surprised me, so definitely keep your eye out for this one. Lot's of great twists!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this one though not quite as much as you. I adored the Summer trilogy and I think I expected something more like that which is why I was a bit put off by this one. I'm still eager to read the next book though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I'm glad you still enjoyed it and let's hope the sequel is better for you.

      Delete
  3. I was really excited for Burn for Burn because i read the summer trilogy and loved it as well!! Now that you mention it, it does seem similar to the show revenge! I loved burn for burn as well! Great review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Farah. I just want the sequel now . . . dying to read it considering what happened at the end of this book.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...