Saturday, January 26, 2013

Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Pages: 288pgs

The Story

In this gripping exploration of a futuristic afterlife, a teen discovers that death is just the beginning.

Since her untimely death the day before her eighteenth birthday, Felicia Ward has been trapped in Level 2, a stark white afterlife located between our world and the next. Along with her fellow drones, Felicia passes the endless hours reliving memories of her time on Earth and mourning what she’s lost—family, friends, and Neil, the boy she loved.

Then a girl in a neighboring chamber is found dead, and nobody but Felicia recalls that she existed in the first place. When Julian—a dangerously charming guy Felicia knew in life—comes to offer Felicia a way out, Felicia learns the truth: If she joins the rebellion to overthrow the Morati, the angel guardians of Level 2, she can be with Neil again.

Suspended between Heaven and Earth, Felicia finds herself at the center of an age-old struggle between good and evil. As memories from her life come back to haunt her, and as the Morati hunt her down, Felicia will discover it’s not just her own redemption at stake… but the salvation of all mankind.

The Review

LEVEL 2 is one of those books with an interesting concept and you couldn't help but be intrigued by it and instantly grab it. While I found Lenore Appelhans's writing solid, unique, and quirky for the most part, but unfortunately I felt like something was majorly 'missing' in the plot and it just didn't live up to my expectations . . . as sad as it is.

As far as the plot goes, it was alright. Sure it may have been confusing at times and repetitive too (even a little slow here and there as well) as it switches back and forth between the past and present quite a lot, but it was still an alright read for me. As for the character side things, I thought Felicia was a great main character to have and placed behind this particular storyline setting but much like with the story itself, I just couldn't quite connect with her. Whether it was because of the lack of depth with her character or something else. . . I'm not entirely sure here. So I think the only highlight I found was the character named Julian, someone Felicia meets towards the beginning of the book, and whom was probably my favourite character out of all of them. He was the only one I found engaging and gave me reason to continue with this story, so it'll be interesting where his character fits in in the next sequel, Level 3, coming out next year!

Overall, LEVEL 2 is a good book worth reading and I'll still continue with this series despite not enjoying this book as much as I wanted to. With the world being really different compared to most YA books out there lately, I think anyone who is a fan of Beth Revis's Across the Universe or anything sci-fi-related will definitely enjoy this book!

The Rating
2 1/2 / 5 stars

13 comments:

  1. Waaaah 2.5? D:

    Thank you so much for reviewing, been really looking forward to yours Erin :D

    I've been hearing everywhere that Lenore's writing is really good, and the concept is original but everybody says there's something missing :/

    I'm on like page 30 and I'm so excited for Julian :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julian was the highlight for me in this book. He was a great character - a bit mysterious on the most part, but really great. I hope you enjoy this book as it does have its perks!

      Thanks! :D

      Delete
  2. Oh no 2.5 stars? Eh! I've been wanting to read this one too. I'm glad your planning to carry on with a series, sometimes they can get better but I hardly ever do if it's below a 3 star rating. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope the sequel improves because I really wanted to like this book. Still, it had a great concept. I hope you enjoy the book more than me. :D

      Delete
  3. That's too bad! I hear mixed things about this book and while I'm still excited to read it, I have set my expectations a little lower now. At least it was good enough to make you continue the series! :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a lot of mixed things too and I understand why now . . . but let's hope the sequel improves! Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  4. I didn't really love this one either. Too much was confusing! And you're right about Julian, he was the only interesting one - Neil was awful. He was so sickeningly sweet and nice that I wanted to throw up :P. Great review - glad to find someone who agrees with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil . . . oh he was just . . . not interesting. At least Julian was. I was always intrigued by him in the book. But thanks! I'm glad someone agrees with me too. I hope the sequel works better for you and me both.

      Delete
  5. Urghh...it's so sad this book is receiving average ratings/reviews lately! I was looking forward to it, but I have a feeling I'll be left unsatisfied.. :( It's always a disappointment when it's hard to connect with the main character :( I received this for review so I'll have to read it..but I seriously hope I'll enjoy it! Great review Erin!<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I mean the book was good but . . . yeah. Not as good as I hopoed. I've read a lot of those average reviews and ratings too whichh is a bit disappointing. Still, I hope you enjoy the book too. It definitely has potential. Thanks Shirley!

      Delete
  6. wow, you are not the first person to not be impressed by Level 2.. like you, i found the synopsis intriguing but I am NOT a fan of switching between present and past.. if i could help it, i would avoid it all the time.. also I get what the whole "missing" thing is about.. sometimes a book lacks it and you just don't know why..
    great review!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. From the other reviews I've read, like you said, I'm not the only one who'd felt this way . . . which is good cause I thought I was the only one who thought something was 'missing'. Still, I'm going to continue with this series in hopes it will improve.

      Delete
  7. Disappointed to hear this but I'm not surprised. It's not the first time I've read so-so reviews for it! I'm not a big fan of past/present stories and when you combine that with characters without that oomph... *hangs head* It's in my reading schedule right now but I want to give it a miss very badly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...