Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Reached by Ally Condie

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Dutton Children's Books

Pages: 512pgs

The Story

Cassia faces the ultimate choices in the long-anticipated conclusion 

to the "New York Times" bestselling Matched Trilogy.

After leaving Society and desperately searching for the Rising - and each other - Cassia and Ky have found what they were looking for, but at the cost of losing each other yet again: Cassia has been assigned to work for the Rising from within Society, while Ky has been stationed outside its borders. But nothing is as predicted, and all too soon the veil lifts and things shift once again.


In this gripping conclusion to the #1 "New York Times" bestselling Matched Trilogy, Cassia will reconcile the difficulties of challenging a life too confining, seeking a freedom she never dreamed possible, and honoring a love she cannot live without.

The Review

There having been so many YA dystopian books coming out ever since Matched was released and while I didn't necessarily have great patience for this series, especially when it came to reading the sequel Crossed which did not impress at all, but I'm thankful to say the final installment of the series, REACHED, had finally reached a great point in the series (about time too!) and has ended in a somewhat very satisfying conclusion for everyone involved in the story.

In addition of having Xander's perspective, readers will still get to read the Matched world through the eyes of two of our other main characters, Cassia and Ky, who are - astonishingly - much more likable this time round compared to their perspectives read from the previous sequel. All strong, unique, gripping and authentic with each of the three voices, I think what made me enjoy this third book even more was having Xander's perspective and getting to see how he views the world that he lives in or rather how he truly feels about his love interest (someone who doesn't deserve his love mind you), Cassia, which was an engaging thing to read about and one of the best things read in this series by far.

Without spoiling and in terms of how everything had ended in this final installment, while I understood why things ended in the way they did and while I could predict how things were going to end for each of the characters, but I was a little bit disappointed (it sucks for me because I was a big fan of a certain character who didn't exactly get a great ending and the one he or she clearly deserved) and yet on the brighter side of things I was also very satisfied - almost happy - with how everything was concluded for all of the characters . . . even when some endings were much happier than others. Still, it was an ending that says to the world, "It happened. Get over it!"

Overall, REACHED was a book I didn't think would go far for me and yet it managed to surprise me in doing a complete turnaround for a series that wasn't just an 'average read' to me. If you love storytelling about young people fighting for their own freedom and for love, then REACHED is definitely your kind of book and one that surely won't disappoint but rather impress you!

The Rating
4 1/2 / 5 stars

15 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to reading this one, I'm glad you liked how it ended, that's something I've been worried about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had me worried too and even though it wasn't the 'perfect' ending but . . . I was still happy with it!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed book 1 and book 2 well, not so much, I started this and has to stop because I couldn't get into it, I'm hoping to pick it up again soon. I want to see how it all ends.

    Fantastic review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Siobhán! Book 2 really disappointed me and I didn't want to continue with the series because of that but . . . the 3rd book doesn't disappoint and I'm happy that I just finished with the series and knows what happens to every character, you know?

      Delete
  3. I loved Matched but wasn't a big fan of Crossed. I was hoping Reached was going to be good and now i really want to pick it up after your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same too. The sequel just didn't cut it for me but thankfully the third book didn't disappoint at all. :)

      Delete
  4. Shocked by this review, Erin! I expected Reached to be horrible like Crossed but....I guess not! Very curious about how I go with this one, although I am quite nervous about this ending... -____-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm shocked by my own review too, Lisa. I didn't think I would like this final book but . . . it was much better than the sequel which didn't impress me at all. The ending for this book isn't exactly my 'ideal' ending but I was still pretty happy with how everything was concluded.

      Delete
  5. Whoaaaa I never expected the third book to be so good! Most of the reviews i've read for Crossed and Matched have been either mixed or just generally unfavourable reviews, but I'm glad Reached was surprisingly impressive :) Hmm...maybe I *will* start this series after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Shirley! I didn't expect this reaction at all . . . from me of ALL people. :)

      Delete
  6. Reached really surprised me, too, Erin! I really enjoyed this, it was so beautiful and I thought the ending went as well as it could seeing as I knew not all of them would get the happiest endings :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did, so yay for that! The ending wasn't perfect but I agree with you . . . I knew everyone would not get their happy ending.

      Delete
  7. Oh, so glad this ending on a good note for you, Erin! I'm always a little nervous about series conclusions. All that build-up and anticipation? I still haven't read Matched, but I'm desperate to know who Cassia ends up with :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'm always nervous too, especially when it comes to endings of my favourite book series . . . sometimes they never end well for me. Cassia got a good ending even though I didn't necessarily agree with her choices at times.

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad that you liked it, I've read a few reviews saying it was fairly mediocre. I'm very nervous about reading it after Crossed because I was REALLY disappointed with it. I got Reached out from the library and everytime I look at it I'm more wary than anything else, but you're on the way to convincing me to give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...