Friday, January 11, 2013

The Shadow Society by Marie Rutkoski

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux

Pages: 416pgs

The Story

Darcy Jones doesn't remember anything before the day she was abandoned as a child outside a Chicago firehouse. She has never really belonged anywhere - but she couldn't have guessed that she comes from an alternate world where the Great Chicago Fire didn't  happen and deadly creatures called Shades terrorize the human population.

Memories begin to haunt Darcy when a new boy arrives at her high school, and he makes her feel both desire and desired in a way she hadn't thought possible. But Conn's interest in her is confusing. It doesn't line up with the way he first looked at her.

As if she were his enemy.

When Conn betrays Darcy, she realizes that she can't rely on anything - not herself, not the laws of nature, and certainly not him. Darcy decides to infiltrate the Shadow Society and uncover the Shades' latest terrorist plot. What she finds out will change her world forever . . .

The Review

A big thanks to the publisher on netGalley for accepting my request in reading this book early!

THE SHADOW SOCIETY was brilliant. Simple as that. Before I had even started this book I wasn't sure what to expect from it since I have read countless of reviews with mixed opinions - the good and the bad kind. But against my own judgement I'm so glad I decided to read it anyway in the end because it was everything I was hoping for and more surprisingly. And I rarely get surprised anymore! Both with a hooking storyline, intriguing characters, and every bit engaging with its very, very clever concept that has not been seen too much in the YA genre lately, I just want to say to everyone that you should go and read this book now! It's an absolute treat!

No matter the cliches people suggest it has in this book, the story starts off with a 'slightly' normal girl named Darcy who goes to school, loves hanging out with her friends, and tries to make a life out of a hobby of drawing. But when this slightly normal AND adopted teenage girl, Darcy, continues being fostered out from family to family and is suddenly experiencing some very strange things in her life, it all comes back to one new boy in town: a boy named Conn. Only he can answer all of her questions. Whether this is cliche or not, please do not in any way turn away from this book just yet . . . because Darcy soon finds out that she is not exactly human, in fact she's not considered human at all. So when she's brought back into another universe, yes you heard me another universe (how exciting, right?!), Darcy's new world will slowly unravel where she will finally learn what happened to her real parents and why she is what she is . . . which you will all find out eventually.

As soon as I started this book I was hooked. Literally, I was hooked and reeled in by the book's delicious bait. I mean just when I thought things were going to go nowhere for the storyline, I was soon thrust into this completely whole new world and everything was all out in the open . . . it was needless to say quite an adventure if I do say so myself and one I will not forget too easily. I think what made this book so original was how the author wrote this 'other universe' and how she dealt with the back-stories of other characters. It was so new and refreshing. But . . . I think the whole credit of this book can go straight to the main character, Darcy. She was such an awesome character and I enjoyed her narrative so, so much. Spunky, driven, hard-working, creative, independent, and not afraid to show her flaws, Darcy was definitely someone I admired in this book and having a group of fantastic friends to back her up, it was just really great to see for someone who is so lost and lonely to be so open and honest with themselves because of those who support and care for Darcy and . . . just love her no matter what.

Conn, Darcy's 'sort of' enemy and yet her 'sort of' love interest was someone who had also interested me. He wasn't exactly a boy I swooned over a terrible lot, but he was really interesting. Hard to figure out for the majority of the book (that's a given) but he was mostly interesting. I think what appealed to me with Conn's character was how mysterious he was and the fact that you didn't know whether to trust him or not, or want to allow him to gain Darcy's trust when it involved some pretty serious matters in the book. Like on one hand, I wanted to throttle him but on the other hand I wanted to trust him too, only I had no idea which I should do first. What can I say? This boy was complicated. But despite the trusts issues and the many misread signals coming from both Darcy and Conn's characters, I really enjoyed watching these two characters grow and interact with one another. Plus it was also great to learn more about Conn and how he came to be apart of Darcy's very complicated life. I wouldn't go to say the romance was absolutely perfect or anything close to that, but I hope there's a sequel in the works because I want to read more about these characters and see what else can strengthen the relationship - and perhaps the romance - between Conn and Darcy.

Overall, THE SHADOW SOCIETY was unique, alluring, heart-warming and a very strong debut throughout the whole reading of this brilliant book. Whether you think this is your kind of read or not, I would highly recommend this book if you love the likes of Fringe (which I'm OBSESSED with) or pretty much anything with a sci-fi element to it. Yet again . . . it was brilliant!

The Rating
5/5 stars

12 comments:

  1. From reading the summary I wasn't sure whether this would be a book I would like, but your review has me convinced I would. I see how cliches could turn some people off from this book, but it sounds like the rest of the storyline makes up for it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad I convinced you. It was definitely a read that surprised me last year.

      Delete
  2. I honestly haven't heard much about this book but your review has me excited to read it. I love that it's so unique and Conn sounds like my kind of guy. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it! It was such a great book. I hope there's a sequel. Thanks Katie!

      Delete
  3. So great when you're not sure about a book, but then it blows you away. The synopsis doesn't make the book stand out to me, but from your review it sounds like a must read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those kinds of books . . . it really shows not to judge a book too quickly.

      Delete
  4. When you say a book is BRILLIANT it means I MUST read it! It's the definitely the best feeling ever when you don't expect much from a book but it ends up blowing you away :) I can't wait to read this!! Thanks for the review Erin! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley! I hope it's brilliant for you as it was for me. I just love it when books surprise you in this way.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, Erin. I liked some parts, others not so much, but overall I thought it was very fun and enjoyable. Good to see you thought so too.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it too. I hope there's a sequel coming because I feel like this should be apart of a series. Still, it makes a great standalone as well. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Haha all the way through reading this I was thinking "oooh sounds kinda like Fringe" and then you say that in the final bit! I do really like the sound of this one, might have to check it out. Thanks for the review!

    Cait x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I loved the whole Fringe-sounding vibe to it, which I guess is why I really enjoyed this book. Thanks!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...