Sunday, January 6, 2013

I Made Lattes for a Love God by Wendy Harmer


Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Allen & Unwin

Pages: 272pgs

The Story

Elly Pickering has a juicy secret. A secret her PR mum won't let her tell anyone because if the kids at Oldcastle high knew that mega-star Jake Blake (yes, THE Jake Blake, teen sensation and all round heart-throb) was coming to Oldcastle to film his latest movie, they might just explode with excitement.

Elly is determined to get on set and to get more than a glimpse of her Hollywood crush. But now thanks to an unfortunate incident involving a car, a red handbag and the paparazzi, it looks like Elly's lost a lot more than her opportunity to be close to Hollywood royalty. She's lost her dignity, her job and her best friend. How will she ever be able to get everything back to normal?

The Review

A big thanks to Allen & Unwin Australia for sending me a review copy of this book!

This book was . . . cute and I use that word very loosely. When I received this book in the mail I will admit I have heard of Wendy Harmer before, but as far as this book goes, I'm safe to say it was not at all what I would usually read let alone something I would usually pick up at the store or at the library, but when it comes down to it I found this book was a very cute, fun and a very quick read for me, and it would be ideal for younger audiences to read it and be something great to pass the time with.

The reason why I'm giving this book a lower star rating was because it just didn't appeal to me. I guess my main struggle with this book was not being able to take this storyline all too seriously and the characters - as much as they tried to entertain me - just couldn't connect with me personally. Now I don't like to read too many shorter-length books because we just don't get enough time to develop a storyline and we can't get to know the quirky characters as much as we want to along the way. I mean sometimes it works for shorter reads but other times it just doesn't for others, and in this case I felt that was what happened here. I failed to connect with everything but it was still entertaining so I give the author that.

Overall, I MADE LATTES FOR A LOVE GOD is not something I would recommend all too highly but if you enjoy stories that are not too serious and love books with a little bit of glitz and glamour in them, then this book would most definitely be your kind of read. Think L.A. Candy meets of Lola and the Boy Next Door-minus-the-epic-book-awesomeness.

The Rating
2 1/2 / 5 stars

4 comments:

  1. I have this book but I'm not sure I want to read it. It seems fun but I do worry it will be too young or I won't connect like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an okay book but not what I would usually read, unfortunately.

      Delete
  2. This does sound cute and a little young, but, I am a fan of shorter books and I don't mind something fluffy, when I'm sick of reading more serious books.

    Great review, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds Like my kind of read. Need to check it out. Thanks for review

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...