Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

Release Date: 5th February, 2012

Publisher: HarperCollins

Pages: 465pgs

The Story

tick, tick, tick, tick, tick
it's almost
time for war.

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.

She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.

Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.

In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.

The Review

A big thanks to Mindy from Magical Urban Fantasy Reads for giving me an ARC copy of this book!

As hard as it is to choose the right words to say in this book review, I think if I tried to explain my exact thoughts on the book I would fall so short here because it's too hard to describe to you what my feelings are for this book and series alone.

With so many sequels to some of my favourite book series lately, most of them in the YA genre do not impress me as much as their first books, but for Tahereh Mafi's second installment of her Shatter Me series, UNRAVEL ME, she did such an amazing job (like a seriously amazing job) in bringing back all of the love and high praises that I had with her debut, Shatter Me, and well . . . let's just say my mouth was left hanging open by the time I finished this book. Just wow! I can't exactly pinpoint where Mafi excelled the most in except that her writing was just as beautiful as her first book and her characterizations were just too perfect, if not better than Shatter Me. More so when it came to a favourite character of mine. But more on that later.

Juliette. The tortured but very beautiful girl Juliette. I absolutely loved her character in the first book and my opinion of her never wavered in this sequel either. I don't know what it is about her character but her voice is just so unique, raw, and powerful and my heart aches for her own personal struggles in this very dark, dystopian-like world of hers. At times she may have questioned things that shouldn't be question - like her love for Adam and her attraction to a certain 'other' fellow - but with such a compelling voice as Juliette possesses there's no denying why she has become such a special character to us all. I love her and I can connect with her which is the most important thing for me!

Now onto the main love interests. Honestly who IS Adam? I don't remember him. I mean, I do  but then I don't. I mean, wasn't he the guy Juliette was so desperately in love with? Wasn't he the guy where I myself was SO in love with as well and I couldn't possibly ever think about another fictional guy ever again because Adam was the man everyone loved to love and couldn't help but love? Yeah maybe that is the Adam I'm supposed to be in love with and talk endlessly about . . . no wait I take back my suppose 'words' here because I'M SO IN LOVE WITH WARNER NOW! That's right! I kid you not because I absolutely adored Warner - both the inside and out in this sequel!

From the very beginning I've always known Warner was going to creep up on me and did he ever! Sure Adam was the same old Adam in most respects as he was in the first book - the protective, kind and caring boy we've always known him to be - but once he got all whiny, secretive, brooding, and began begging for Juliette's love in this book . . .well I don't want to spoil it for you but the thing is . . . Adam who? Warner in every possible way took everything I love about Adam (even if I still love Adam dearly) and put it all into himself, and I don't care what people say but Warner was just as damaged as Juliette and I think that's what makes them work and mesh so well together. It was tragically beautiful reading about Warner and learning of his feelings for Juliette. Both he and Juliette understand what pain and suffering IS, especially with who they are and what people expect from them, and my god Warner was just . . . SO HOT! I literally became speechless every single bloody time Warner came onto the page and those scenes with him and Juliette . . . gosh if you can't see the flames and those dangerous sparks flying between them and feel nothing for Warner at all . . . then I don't know what else to say to you on the matter just that Warner is perfection! Warner . . .Warner . . . Warner . . . Team Warner forever! Sorry Adam (I love you still, okay?).

Overall, UNRAVEL ME was such a brilliant sequel and delivered in every possible way, if not more than I ever expected from it. While I found the first book Shatter Me to be a much stronger book plot-wise but UNRAVEL ME allowed us to dive deeper in the world of Juliette's and learn just what true pain and love means at their most desperate times. Also please note this: For those who haven't read this sequel yet . . . let's just say this book should be called Unravel Warner because I think this sequel was more about him than anything else and I want more I tell you . . . MORE WARNER!

The Rating
5/5 stars

11 comments:

  1. Awesome review and so glad to hear there will be more Warner.

    Tahereh should definitely give us more Warner. !00% agree with that:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wished every scene was with Warner now . . . hehe.

      Delete
  2. Oh my god, Erin!! I'm so excited! Lara said my copy should be arriving Friday/Monday. CANNOT WAIT. I know Unravel Me will be A++++++.

    So you've switched to Team Warner. Holy crap. Back in SM I saw a potential relationship there because he wasn't totally evil. HOWEVER, I don't know whether Warner will overtake Adam over here in my heart. I hope not, actually. Adam betrayal LOL.

    Awesome review <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it, Lisa! It was just . . . AWESOME. Yup, I've pretty muched switched teams though I'm still on Team Adam too (I'm such a fictional boy cheater hehe). But Warner . . . boy I hope you switch teams so I won't be alone on this. hehe. Just LOVED him to bits! I'm a total Adam betrayer!

      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read Shatter Me yet, but the promise of a strong sequel definitely makes a case for why I should! Great review (well, what I read of it, I didn't want to end up spoiling anything for myself!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Taylor! Definitely check out this series soon. You won't regret it! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, it sounds amazing! And I complete agree with everything you said. Warner is . . . sigh. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAAHAHAHAHAHA I had (and still have) this massive grin on my face when I read your paragraph on Adam and Warner! DOES THIS MEAN I'LL BE CONVERTED TO TEAM WARNER AS WELL?!?!? Urghhh I never, not once, considered this Juliette-Adam-Warner relationship a love triangle, and I never even considered being on whoever's team, because it was ALWAYS Adam for me. But now? Adam sounds annoying. JKNKASHBJKSABHKSBAIHASBIHASBBHKSA NOOOOOOO!!!! I hope my copy arrives soon! I REALLY need to read this already!!! Lovely review, hun!<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HOPE YOU GET CONVERTED TO TEAM WARNER! YOU MUST JOIN THE DARK SIDE WITH ME! Hehe. I just couldn't help but switch teams and, of course, keep Adam secretly on the side. Haha. *evil grin*

      Adam just got on my nerves a little bit in this book . . . poor Adam. I still love the guy and I get where he's coming from but . . . yeah just you wait for sexy Warner! Thanks Shirley!

      Delete
  6. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! ERIN! YESSSSS! All the thoughts! All the feelings!

    I expected Warner to sneak up on me, too, but not like this. Not like... OMG OMG OMG. I'M SUDDENLY TEAMW ARNER LOVE LOVE LOVE. BUt... EEEEEEE!

    I think I'm Team Wardam :P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...