Tuesday, January 22, 2013

V is for Virgin by Kelly Oram

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Bluefields

Pages: 386pgs

The Story

When Val Jensen gets dumped for her decision to stay a virgin until marriage, the nasty breakup goes viral on YouTube, making her the latest internet sensation. 

After days of ridicule from her peers, Val starts a school-wide campaign to rally support for her cause. She meant to make a statement, but she never dreamed the entire nation would get caught up in the controversy. 

As if becoming nationally recognized as “Virgin Val” isn’t enough, Val’s already hectic life starts to spin wildly out of control when bad boy Kyle Hamilton, lead singer for the hit rock band Tralse, decides to take her abstinence as a personal challenge.

How can a girl stay true to herself when this year’s Sexiest Man Alive is doing everything in his power to win her over?

The Review

A big thanks to the author for sending me an ebook copy of this book!

V IS FOR VIRGIN is one of those books with a great 'feminine twist' to it. To put it simply for you, it's a book where every girl can find something to relate to - somehow in some way you can relate to it. It's quirky, it's sassy, it's witty, it's romantic, and it's just the kind of book that no one should miss out on because it's really original too and packaged into a nice, little entertaining read suited to everyone's tastes (but mostly to girls obviously when you judge the title)!

I think what I really admire about this author is her writing characters and making them fight for what they believe in, whether people tend to agree with them or not. And that's exactly what this book does: It stands up, takes courage and delivers a great message of an issue that is important to the common teenager without going beyond the borderline of it, and in the end, I thought this book really does inspire its readers especially with the characters who are - in their own right - role models to us. Even for fictional ones. They have this great power about them.

Valerie, the main character, was one of those role model types of girls. She was proud to be a 'virgin' and was proud to be leading a cause in the name of it all, and in hopes others would do the same as her. Honestly, what's not to love about that? What's so wrong in standing up for what you believe in and so strongly too? What's wrong with being a virgin? That's right . . . nothing. This book took courage in that and I loved how I got swept up by it all. As for Valerie's love interest, Kyle Hamilton, he too was quite a character to read about! I wouldn't go and say he was a swoony type of character but  rather I did quite enjoy his friendly banter and flirting when it came to Valerie, not to mention how everything ended up between the two of them . . . it was sure great and I know you're going to love these two characters too. They really have great quirks!

Overall, V IS FOR VIRGIN should be re-titled as B Is For Brilliance because it was such an awesome book just like Kelly Oram's other previous titles. With some memorable characters, great character one-lines and an overall great message spreading throughout the entire storyline, I think many readers will come to appreciate this book and needless to say be really entertained by it!

The Rating
4 1/2 / 5 stars

10 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fabulous book with a great message and fun cast of characters. I don't know if I'll ever get the chance to read it but I'm sure I'd really enjoy it ;) Great review, Erin!

    Lisa | Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's lots of fun characters in this one, Lisa. I think you would enjoy it. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. YES! I agree with everything you said up there<3 I love the message the author is trying to deliver...and I love how the characters -especially Valerie- fights for what she believes in until the very end :) I feel like reading this book again...it was so GOOD!<3 Awesome review, Erin! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley! It was pretty awesome, right? I just loved everything about this book. Can't wait to read more from this author!

      Delete
  3. This sounds amazing!!! Fab review!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen this book around but haven't managed to read it yet. I really love that this book has a strong message without sounding preachy and it sounds like a really fun read! Will keep an eye out for it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I love messages without being too preachy. Plus it helps having this book being super cute too. Loved it!

      Delete
  5. I've read Kelly's Oram's work before so I think I'll probably give this one a go now too! I was a bit worried about the message - I was concerned it might depict certain things negatively. But it's good to hear that it was well-portrayed, so I'm less worried now. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin, this sounds FUN! I was a *little* concerned reading that blurb, but... well. UNFOUNDED, CLEARLY! it sounds fabulous. So glad you loved it so much!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...