Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Reflected in You by Sylvia Day

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Penguin Books

Pages: 400pgs

The Story

Gideon Cross. As beautiful and flawless on the outside as he was damaged and tormented on the inside. He was a bright, scorching flame that singed me with the darkest of pleasures. I couldn't stay away. I didn't want to. He was my addiction... my every desire... mine.

My past was as violent as his, and I was just as broken. We’d never work. It was too hard, too painful... except when it was perfect. Those moments when the driving hunger and desperate love were the most exquisite insanity. We were bound by our need. And our passion would take us beyond our limits to the sweetest, sharpest edge of obsession . . .

The Review


As I fell in love Sylvia Day's Bared to You, I knew with absolute certainty that I MUST read her second book in the Crossfire series. And just when I thought sequels couldn't surpass the first books anymore, boy was I wrong in that department because this sequel did not disappoint at all and talk about this book being so intense and sexy . . . no wait . . . it was SO insane! With massive character craziness, alpha-male possessiveness, raging arguments flying here and there, and with some damn right jealousy messing up relationships entirely, the author really knew how to push her characters over the edge and I loved her for it!

REFLECTED IN YOU, the second installment of the Crossfire series, makes us readers dive deeper in the lives of Gideon and Eva. Not only do we learn more about their pasts but we also learn about what has seriously affected their lives, especially today now as adults, which brings us straight back to their childhoods. Terrible childhoods at that . . . the place were it all started. With sexual abuse, relationships, trust, and sex in general being heavily explored and being the main focal point of the book, I think while it may be disturbing for some readers to read about but I found Day did a splendid job in exploring these issues without giving the 'it's too much' phase, so I applaud her for that!

I think what made this sequel surpass the first book is purely because we finally get to know the characters more - more so with the two main characters, Eva and Gideon. While there is plenty of drama to get your head spinning in all sorts of directions and can be sometimes a little 'too' dramatic at times (maybe a little too hard to handle as well), but being able to understand Eva and Gideon even more now as characters rather than just two random strangers fiercely falling in love . . . it was a great pleasure to read about and my heart certainly ached for them both. Even with a incredibly strong bond between the two characters, I was quite pleased to read about their troubles and see how they worked for their love than just not work for it at all, you know? But damn, talk about the intense chemistry between Eva and Gideon! So hot.

The only little bit of criticism I have for this book was Gideon Cross himself. Even when Eva could be an airhead herself at times for not trusting her man, Gideon sure set himself up for some MAJOR drama ahead of him. I trusted him all the way through the book mind you, but when he kept things very secret and more particularly kept things from Eva it just . . . irritated me so much. While I do understand why he did what he did and with his reasons being very good in certain aspects, but Gideon just really needs to trust Eva more because that young woman - as crazy and jealous as she is - loves him to death and you can clearly see that in this entire book.

Overall, despite the dramatic side of things, REFLECTED TO YOU was a brilliant sequel, even with the smoky hot sex and angry adult angst messing with the character's heads. So if you loved the first book Bared to You than you will seriously love this book twice as more and boy I cannot wait to read the third book . . . I seriously need more Cross in my life I tell you!

The Rating
5/5 stars

4 comments:

  1. That's it! When I can get the time, I'm reading this series. It sounds brilliant <3 But to be honest, I think ANYTHING beats 50SOG. That was just a hot mess. And..not even the good kind. *cringes at everything about it* WHHHHHHHYYYY. Very happy to hear that this series has much better characters and is handled by a more capable writer with a good story to tell ;) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Read it asap! Even if I haven't entirely read the series but, like you said, pretty much anything beats 50SOG. Poor thing. hehe. *cringes thinking about that series* This writer is more than capable . . . she's super awesome! Thanks Lisa!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like this one really blew you away! Adding to my wishlist now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it. It's such an awesome book, especially since I don't read many books from this genre.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...